Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
But one thing is for sure, neither family had anywhere close to 500 made members in the 1980's; if ever.

I'm even skeptical they ever had as many as 400. I think that at their height both families probably had closer to 300 made members. In the 1970s there were mass ceremonies to fill up the ranks of members that had died since 1957. So it is reasonable to assume that the numbers in the 1970s would be comparable to the numbers in the 1950s.

Ok, let me ask this. Today we are told the Genovese Family has between 275- 300 memebers? You doubt there was much more back in the golden days of the 30's thru the late 60's? Also the FBI estimates back in the 60's and 70's are not accurate in the least. The FBI by thier own admission was chasing ghosts and had no clue who was who back then. You don't think hundreds of guys slipped under the radar? Just some food for thought.

Today both families are estimated to have between 200 and 250 made members. The estimated membership totals of the 1980s would more than likely be comparable to the 1970s. I just have difficulty believing that between 1957 and 1975 New York's biggest families lost almost half of its members. And considering that the numbers have pretty much stayed consistent for at least the last twenty years, makes me believe that the membership totals haven't changed significantly in the last half a century.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."