Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
New York are still involved in things Chicago isn't. Many New York families still have ties to unions, construction, garbage, cement, drywall, carpenters, the docks, etc. Last time there was a union involving Chicago I think was when Caruso and his brothers were kicked out of a laborers local.

DiFronzo has D&P but that's just one company. Take the recent garbage case we've seen in New York. It defintely will not be the last. Add on the massive books and loansharking operations NYC crews run that's a hell of a lot of money.

I think what sets New York apart is that even with today's law enforcement they are always trying to find new industries to move into, and new more sophisticated ways of making money. I defintely don't see that from Chicago. I think they are still around but are fading.

Yeah, the New York families have been the only ones who have consistently been involved in large financial scams in recent years. I say consistently because Chicago, for instance, has had a few cases. Anthony Boscarino recently pled guilty to running a multi-million dollar internet gambling investment scam. Back in 2002, Nick Boscarino and another guy were involved in an insurance scam. And, of course, there was the case involving the siphoning off of $10 million from the city of Cicero back in 2001.

The NY families also still have a significant stake in the drug trade, though one can argue that the Outfit benefits from staying out of narcotics.

Outfit involvement in unions in recent years is interesting. There really hasn't been a labor racketeering indictment directly related to the Outfit since the 1990's. A lot of guys were booted from the Laborers Union in the late 1990's and the Carusos held out for a few years after that. There was the big RISE investigation into ongoing Outfit involvement with the Teamsters. And various allegations involving 9 IBT locals in Chicago were included. But nothing that ever actually resulted in an indictment. In 2004, Pudgy Matassa was reported to be running Amalgamated Transit Workers Union Local 711 but it was said to be small and struggling financially. Fosco made allegations about the DiFronzos meddling in Teamsters Local 703 but nothing seems to have come from that either.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.