GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Toodoped, 3 invisible), 402 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,245
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,400
Posts1,060,187
Members10,349
Most Online911
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 36 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 35 36
Re: philly update [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #696177
02/12/13 10:24 PM
02/12/13 10:24 PM
T
Tally Offline
Wiseguy
Tally  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: JacklynnPetropoulos
Giancarlo, Nicodemo's preliminary hearing which is when judge will decide if there is enough evidence for case to go to trial (formally charged which is equiv of formal indictment). Prosecution does not show its hand and I'd be shocked if judge throws out charges. Defense attorneys (thus the client) are not ENTITLED (prosecutors can hand over before) to full discovery until 10 days prior to TRIAL in municipal (which is court Nicodemo is in).

I've heard the DA is having a grand jury for the case. If that does in fact happen does Nicodemo's hearing get delayed until after the grand jury is finished?

Edited to add a question.

If the trial becomes a federal trial how long prior to trial does the defense get the discovery information?

Last edited by Tally; 02/12/13 10:29 PM.
Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696180
02/12/13 10:38 PM
02/12/13 10:38 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
In jersey i always thought that after your charged with a crime the prosecutor will present the case to a grand jury and your then officially indicted on those charges. I thought you got discovery right after that but i'm not a lawyer so i'm not sure about it.

But full discovery 10 days before trial? Thats really pretty tough for the defense. Especially if it's a complicated case.

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696183
02/12/13 10:43 PM
02/12/13 10:43 PM
J
JacklynnPetropoulos Offline
Button
JacklynnPetropoulos  Offline
J
Button
Its by state. NJ is a "grand jury" state. PA is not. They can empanel a grand jury (like they did in Penn State sex abuse case) but its not required by state law. Very few states require grand jury indictments; grand jury indictments are required by US Constitution in federal cases.

Again the 10 day rule is when its ENTITLED; prosecutors generally dont wait that long. And it comes up in dribbles, not all at once. So prosecutors will hold back the good stuff til the end if they want to mess with you.

"Goodfellas don't sue goodfellas. . . . Goodfellas kill goodfellas." ~ Salvatore Profaci in bugged NJ mob lawyer Sal Avena's office

“This was the Volkswagen of racketeering charges” ~ Def. Attorney Ed Jacobs, Jr.

"Meanwhile, I got the uncle who wants me out of the way.... Great family, aren't they? This is what it's all about." ~Louis "Bent-Finger Louie" Monacello

"It was a wholesale annihilation.... How many times do they want to be beat? Because I'm frankly getting tired of it. They went fishing for Joe Ligambi, and the jury gave them Gary Battaglini.” ~ Def Atty Christopher Warren
Re: philly update [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #696186
02/12/13 10:52 PM
02/12/13 10:52 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Its by state. NJ is a "grand jury" state. PA is not.

Thats what i was wondering about, if it worked the same way as it does in NJ. I'm really not too familiar with the PA court system and the way it handles cases.

Re: philly update [Re: Tally] #696191
02/12/13 11:06 PM
02/12/13 11:06 PM
J
Button
J
Button
The feds can actually wait until after the state case to try him. You can be tried by both the state and the feds for the same crime (double jeop doesnt apply).

If they are empaneling grand jury, its not necessarily any different with respect to discovery. Grand jury is a prosecution show. Defense attorneys are not permitted to ask any questions or make any objections or present any witnesses.

His prelim is set for Feb 20th so if judge finds there is enough evidence to go forward (which she most likely will) then he will be officially charged (indicted) and the case goes forward. They dont have to wait for the grand jury for the case to proceed. The grand jury often continues to investigate and then if they decide they can add more charges through a superseding indictment.

"Goodfellas don't sue goodfellas. . . . Goodfellas kill goodfellas." ~ Salvatore Profaci in bugged NJ mob lawyer Sal Avena's office

“This was the Volkswagen of racketeering charges” ~ Def. Attorney Ed Jacobs, Jr.

"Meanwhile, I got the uncle who wants me out of the way.... Great family, aren't they? This is what it's all about." ~Louis "Bent-Finger Louie" Monacello

"It was a wholesale annihilation.... How many times do they want to be beat? Because I'm frankly getting tired of it. They went fishing for Joe Ligambi, and the jury gave them Gary Battaglini.” ~ Def Atty Christopher Warren
Re: philly update [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #696193
02/12/13 11:08 PM
02/12/13 11:08 PM
T
Tally Offline
Wiseguy
Tally  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Its by state. NJ is a "grand jury" state. PA is not. They can empanel a grand jury (like they did in Penn State sex abuse case) but its not required by state law. Very few states require grand jury indictments; grand jury indictments are required by US Constitution in federal cases.

So in your professional judgment by the DA taking it to a grand jury would you say that means they are going for federal charges or is there possible other reasons to do so?

Edit: Thanks for the above answer. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Tally; 02/12/13 11:10 PM.
Re: philly update [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #696229
02/13/13 12:52 AM
02/13/13 12:52 AM
T
Tally Offline
Wiseguy
Tally  Offline
T
Wiseguy

His prelim is set for Feb 20th so if judge finds there is enough evidence to go forward (which she most likely will) then he will be officially charged (indicted) and the case goes forward. They dont have to wait for the grand jury for the case to proceed. The grand jury often continues to investigate and then if they decide they can add more charges through a superseding indictment.

Unless I am reading the docket from the previous page incorrectly it says Feb 20th was cancelled.

From the docket:

"Preliminary Hearing 02/20/2013 9:00 am 306 Cancelled"

"Status 03/11/2013 1:30 pm 608 Judge Charles A. Ehrlich Scheduled"

Last edited by Tally; 02/13/13 01:00 AM.
Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696296
02/13/13 12:38 PM
02/13/13 12:38 PM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
Their was a motion to Seal the Indictment that was approved yesterday. What are some of the reasons it would be sealed?

Re: philly update [Re: spmob] #696334
02/13/13 02:07 PM
02/13/13 02:07 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
New Date For Mob Trial; Kaboni Savage Drug Case Continues

By George Anastasia
For Bigtrial.net

Judge Eduardo Robreno has set April 16 as the date for the retrial of mob boss Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi and three co-defendants.

But most courtroom observers say you'd be would be wise to hold off on putting that notice in your "save the date" calendar.

"He's just trying to push the process along," said one veteran of the criminal justice system. "I doubt the trial will go off that quickly."

In fact, the prosecution hasn't formally announced that it intends to retry Ligambi and the others on the 11 charges that a jury left "undecided" when it delivered its verdicts earlier this month. That decision is now in the hands of the U.S. Justice Department in Washington.

Not unexpectedly, Robreno also denied motions by lawyers for six of the defendants seeking to have all the charges against them dismissed. The judge also set sentencing dates in May for four defendants who were found guilty by the jury in a split verdict that still has defendants, their attorneys and many courtroom observers scatching their heads.

Meanwhile, seven floors below Robreno 15th floor courtroom, another big trial continued to play out as prosecutors laid out the case against drug kingpin Kaboni Savage and three co-defendants. FBI Agent Kevin Lewis, the lead investigator in the case, finished his fifth day on the witness stand early this afternoon.

Two other prosecution witnesses were called later in the day. The first of several cooperating witness who worked the drug underworld with Savage is expected to take the stand when the trial resumes this morning.

The two cases offer different and changing views of the Philadelphia underworld.

Ligambi and his co-defendants were charged with racketeering conspiracy in a case built around allegations of gambling, extortion and loansharking. Testimony focused on video poker machines that generated a few hundreds of dollars a week (or month) in profits and street-level extortion loans of several thousand dollars.

Defense attorneys derisively referred to the case as "racketeering lite." Others said the case was indicative of the waning days of Cosa Nostra.

Savage and his co-defendants, on the other hand, are charged in a case that includes 12 homicides and that epitomizes the bloody and wantonly violent drug underworld. Testimony thus far has focused on a drug network where a kilo of cocaine costs $27,000 and where the "players" in that game dealt in multi-kilogram shipments and hundred-thousand dollar business deals.

Savage and two of his co-defendants could be sentenced to death if convicted.

The penalties in the Ligambi case are substantially less, but could effectively end the criminal careers of some of the defendants.

Ligambi, 73, his nephew George Borgesi, 49, and a top associate, Anthony Staino, 55, could face retrial on racketeering conspiracy charges. The jury could not decide that count against those three defendants. Ligambi and Staino also face gambling-related chares on which the jury hung.

Mob underboss Joseph "Mousie" Massimino, 62, potentially faces a retrial on three gambling charges on which the jury hung as well.

But Massimino, mob soldier Damion Canalichio and mob associate Gary Battaglini were convicted of racketeering conspiracy by the same jury. They are scheduled to be sentenced in May. Staino was convicted of two extortion charges for which he also will be sentenced.

Massimino and Canalichio, with prior convictions and criminal records, could be facing 10 to 12 years in prison when they are sentenced.

A retrial, if it happens, is expected to be shorter and more focused than the 10-week trial that led to 21 days of often confusing jury deliberation. Most obsevers say the prosecution has an advantage in any retrial because it is able to reshape its case. Fewer tapes, fewer witnesses and more pointed testimony would likely be part of a new presentation for a prosecution team that believed the jury in the first trial got lost.

Part of that might be attributable to a prosecution presentation that many believed was disjointed and unorganized. The second time around, that probably won't be the case.

The jury had to decide 62 charges against seven defendants in a 52-count indictment. It came back with 46 not guilty decisions. The panel was undecided on 11 charges and delivered just five guilty verdicts.

Nevertheless, those convicted face significiant jail time. In addition, Ligambi, Borgesi and Staino run the risk of being convicted of a racketeering conspiracy count that carries a maximum 20-year sentence. At Ligambi's age, a conviction would be tantamount to a life sentence.

For Borgesi the situation is particularly galling. The volatile mobster, who was finishing a 14-year sentence for a 2001 racketeering conviction when he was indicted with Ligambi and the others in May 2011, was found not guilty of 13 of the 14 charges against him by the juyr.

But the jury hung -- was undecided -- on the racketeering conspiracy charge, a decison that Borgesi's lawyer, Paul Hetznecker, is expected to challenge as illogical in a post-trial motion.

The decision on whether to retry on the unresolved charges is expected to be announced in the near future. In the meantime, Ligambi, Borgesi and the four other defendants remain in the Federal Detention Center.

Savage, 38, and his co-defendants are in the same facility,.

His trial was marked by a rare note of levity this afternoon when FBI Agent Edward Frimel testified about how he and others members of a fugitive task force tracked Savage down in 1999 when he was wanted on a murder charge pending in Philadelphia (He later beat that case when a key witness was killed days before trial. That murder is one of the 12 homicides in the current case).

Frimel said he and other members of the task force learned that Savage was staying at an apartment in Stoney Run Village in Maple Shade, N.J. He said when they entered the apartment they found Savage "hiding under a pile of clothes and a comforter" at the foot of the bed in the apartment's one bedroom.

A veteran of the fugitive unit, Frimel said it was "not unusual" for find fugitives hiding under beds or clothes and blankets. Then, he added, "I once had a guy standing in a corner with a lampshade on his head."

The comment drew laughter from attorneys, jurors and members of the audience.

And before Assistant U.S. Attorney John Gallagher completed his questioning of Frimel, he came back to that incident.

"The guy with the lampshade," Gallagher asked. "You caught him, right?"

"For sure," Frimel replied.

Read more at http://www.bigtrial.net/2013/02/new-date-for-mob-trial-savage-drug-case.html#DZ4xJlioSg4jxuXK.99

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696338
02/13/13 02:21 PM
02/13/13 02:21 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
In exile watching star wars an...
Think these guys will cut a plea deal?

Re: philly update [Re: Skinny] #696437
02/13/13 08:46 PM
02/13/13 08:46 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Skinny
Think these guys will cut a plea deal?

At this point if I was a betting man, I would say the feds will be handing out pleas like its candycanes at xmas.

But obcourse thats only if nobody in that family cooperates.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696440
02/13/13 08:58 PM
02/13/13 08:58 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
That's a BIG if though

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696457
02/13/13 10:56 PM
02/13/13 10:56 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
You have to think that Borgesi should get released - he's done his bit for over 10 years - he doesn't deserve a release ? That's f'n bs at the highest level.

Re: philly update [Re: Tally] #696460
02/13/13 11:18 PM
02/13/13 11:18 PM
J
Button
J
Button
WOW! When did you first see this do you remember? As in the day? Because I saved the docket (dated stamed 2/11/13) to my computer. Lol. And the "Continuance Granted" game begins!

Re: philly update [Re: spmob] #696464
02/13/13 11:29 PM
02/13/13 11:29 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Indictments are sealed for one and one reason only. Keeping everything secret from everyone - i.e., co-conspirators that havent yet been arrested (let alone charged). Also, if informants were used, the mob guys still on the outside will often know from the allegations in the indictment the identities of the informants (e.g., Louie Chopsticks was the only other person aware of the specifics of certain day). This is particularly troubling (for Mr. Chopsticks if he is still on the street acting as informant)

Terrorism indictments are 99.5% of the time sealed. Organized crime and street gang cases are as well.

Re: philly update [Re: Skinny] #696465
02/13/13 11:30 PM
02/13/13 11:30 PM
J
Button
J
Button
No way in hell a plea deal will be up for grabs unless someone flips on Ligambi. They want him sooooooo bad!

Re: philly update [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #696472
02/14/13 12:14 AM
02/14/13 12:14 AM
T
Tally Offline
Wiseguy
Tally  Offline
T
Wiseguy
WOW! When did you first see this do you remember? As in the day? Because I saved the docket (dated stamed 2/11/13) to my computer. Lol. And the "Continuance Granted" game begins!

I saw it a few minutes before I posted above. I figured either it had changed since you read the docket or you had other information from somewhere that wasn't listed there.

Does it mean anything that the new court date is listed as "status" and not preliminary hearing? Do they have status court updates on the case when information is sealed? Therefore it's not necessarily the day of his preliminary hearing? Or will the same process for Nicodemo's PH be done that day and they just used a different word?

Edited to clarify question due to cobwebs in brain.

Last edited by Tally; 02/14/13 12:18 AM.
Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696474
02/14/13 12:18 AM
02/14/13 12:18 AM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Nicodemo did not pull the trigger on this - I know for a fact he didn't do it

Re: philly update [Re: Jose] #696476
02/14/13 12:31 AM
02/14/13 12:31 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Joselevens
Nicodemo did not pull the trigger on this - I know for a fact he didn't do it

Who was it? The second gunman on the grassy knoll?

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696536
02/14/13 10:58 AM
02/14/13 10:58 AM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
I have also heard that he wasn't the gunman. I don't know for a fact but I did hear that and I have said it before. If he was going straight home, cause he obviously didn't get rid of any evidence, he would have beat the cops to his house by a lot after the call came in from the mail man. He had to drop someone off somewhere first. But word on the street is that he wasn't alone.

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696542
02/14/13 11:33 AM
02/14/13 11:33 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I also heard this awhile ago from a very reliable person. I was waiting for someone else to say it publicly first though. But what I was told was he was the driver, not the gunman.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696555
02/14/13 12:27 PM
02/14/13 12:27 PM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
Yep same I heard and I said same think on RD last week. So do we think his indictment was sealed because of any certain reason? I know Jacklyn said a lot of OC stuff is sealed but this wasn't being treated as an OC case at first and isn't a FED case (yet?) and hes still in city lock up from what I know and his family is still in town last I heard. They listed all his charges and then their was a motion to seal and then it was sealed on 2/12. Just curious...

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696559
02/14/13 12:42 PM
02/14/13 12:42 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
The talk from day 1 has been that there's a real good chance he was there to drive and or supervise what went down and wasn't the shooter. Very similar to the hit on Martorano. Ambush the target in broad daylight, pretty smart, huh? They got lucky it worked with the hit on Long John so the idiot did it again, in broad daylight. Which by the way almost didn't work, Martorano lived for 2 weeks after the shooting.

We know there is a mailman who saw the car leaving the scene, but is that all he saw? So what, he dropped the shooter off but kept the gun? Real fucking smart if thats what happened. Doesn't hitman 101 say get rid of the murder weapon? If he didn't have that gun and all the mailman saw was the car leaving the area then i would of said he has a pretty good chance at trial but that gun is the noose around his dumb head thats going to hang the idiot.

All those charges listed are he same charges he's had since the day he was charged the day after the shooting. I don't see anything additional added or for that matter taken off. A sealed indictment could mean there's additional evidence in the case or maybe that the target was a CI but we won't know until it's unsealed. Might mean something , might not.

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696568
02/14/13 12:52 PM
02/14/13 12:52 PM
ATL
SilentPartnerz Offline
Capo
SilentPartnerz  Offline
Capo
ATL
They would know if Nicedemo was the shooter as soon as they picked him up. They use the reagent test for gumpowder residue ASAP. He probably would not have had time to completely wash off the residue. LE are waiting/pressuring him to 'give up' the shooter. With the amount of time that has passed already, looks like Nicodemo might stand tall. I imagine the family's admin members on the street have passed/received messages to Nicodemo through his visitors in jail. Reassurances passed back and forth, etc. If Nicodemo is cut from the same cloth as Mousie, then as Jiggs would say, "The Philly Mob rides again."

"Three can keep a secret..if two are dead."
Calogero Minacore
Re: philly update [Re: SilentPartnerz] #696570
02/14/13 12:58 PM
02/14/13 12:58 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SilentPartnerz
They would know if Nicedemo was the shooter as soon as they picked him up. They use the reagent test for gumpowder residue ASAP. He probably would not have had time to completely wash off the residue.

Exactly. He didn't have time to clean up so if he passed that paraffin test then most likely he didn't shoot the weapon that day and the cops know it.

Re: philly update [Re: cheech] #696572
02/14/13 01:02 PM
02/14/13 01:02 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
Maybe I Misspoke with "fact" but I think it's likely there was someone else for all the reasons mentioned above - the Feds know they are screwed here

Re: philly update [Re: spmob] #696617
02/14/13 02:40 PM
02/14/13 02:40 PM
J
Button
J
Button
Ohhhhhhh now I understand things a little better. Nicodemo has a private attorney. He has THE BEST OF private attorneys. The firm representing him is an amazing defense team. They got Beanie Sigel an acquittal on attempted murder. It is the go to firm for high profile criminal defendants.

His case has also been moved to the Court of Common Pleas (that was the cancel of preliminary hearing to status hearing). My friend is lawyer with Philly Public Defender and the judge that is now assigned on the docket is a Common Pleas judge.

A status hearing is precisely what it sounds like - prosecution and defense update judge on what the status of the case.

Re: philly update [Re: Jose] #696618
02/14/13 02:42 PM
02/14/13 02:42 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Joselevens
Maybe I Misspoke with "fact" but I think it's likely there was someone else for all the reasons mentioned above - the Feds know they are screwed here

This is still a State case, isn't it?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: philly update [Re: JacklynnPetropoulos] #696619
02/14/13 02:44 PM
02/14/13 02:44 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Ohhhhhhh now I understand things a little better. Nicodemo has a private attorney. He has THE BEST OF private attorneys. The firm representing him is an amazing defense team. They got Beanie Sigel an acquittal on attempted murder. It is the go to firm for high profile criminal defendants.

His case has also been moved to the Court of Common Pleas (that was the cancel of preliminary hearing to status hearing). My friend is lawyer with Philly Public Defender and the judge that is now assigned on the docket is a Common Pleas judge.

A status hearing is precisely what it sounds like - prosecution and defense update judge on what the status of the case.

I'll second that I have Perri on my defense team.

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: philly update [Re: Giancarlo] #696621
02/14/13 02:46 PM
02/14/13 02:46 PM
J
Button
J
Button
The docket also says the preliminary arraignment (where the charges are listed) is "not final." Meaning the prosecution has atleast is saying (whether true or a bluff) that there will be additional charges in future.

If the case against Nicodemo was a slam dunk, you would know because the Feds would be prosecuting him and not the state.

Page 14 of 36 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 35 36

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull