GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (British, m2w), 433 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,235
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,397
Posts1,060,131
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: jonnynonos] #695720
02/10/13 08:49 PM
02/10/13 08:49 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Well, it's a guessing game. I doubt too many people would really have inside knowledge on that.

By some accounts Butch Petrocelli was killed for ripping off the Aleman defense fund, and I believe Petrocelli is believed to have been made, right?

If true, would they kill a made guy for ripping off an unmade guy?

Although I remember when I read that that was the sole reason for killing Petrocelli I was a little skeptical.

But I don't know.

Raione was GOING to flip until they blew his mom's porch up, then he got alzheimer's.

I don't think Petrocelli was made either. And Rainone ran to the feds and talked in the late 1980's after he felt he was going to be killed by the Outfit.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695721
02/10/13 08:50 PM
02/10/13 08:50 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Holy fuck they blew up his mom's house? When did that happen?

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695722
02/10/13 08:55 PM
02/10/13 08:55 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Yes, Rainone ran to the feds and did inform a little--then they blew up his mom's porch and he clammed up and decided to go to prison instead.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=6661518

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695734
02/11/13 12:09 AM
02/11/13 12:09 AM
G
GaryMartin Offline
Underboss
GaryMartin  Offline
G
Underboss
Was this the time when Raione was dispatched to some house to allow a couple of hit men to kill Hal Smith? Upon arrival, Raione determined he was the victim and "got out of Dodge." Wasn't one of hit men an informer? And was Gus Alex behind this double cross or was it someone else.

I know I've read this several times, but I can't remember the details and names.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: GaryMartin] #695735
02/11/13 12:46 AM
02/11/13 12:46 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: GaryMartin
Was this the time when Raione was dispatched to some house to allow a couple of hit men to kill Hal Smith? Upon arrival, Raione determined he was the victim and "got out of Dodge." Wasn't one of hit men an informer? And was Gus Alex behind this double cross or was it someone else.

I know I've read this several times, but I can't remember the details and names.

That was it, though I don't recall if the target was specifically Hal Smith.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695737
02/11/13 01:04 AM
02/11/13 01:04 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
I don't remember.

Do you guys spend much time on ISPN?

There is a lot of interesting stuff on there but I don't get it. What's the backstory. I have almost avoided it because it is too much, thousands and thousands of pages of documents and files. Nothing in context or succinct. But once in a while I read something on there that is fascinating.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695739
02/11/13 01:45 AM
02/11/13 01:45 AM
G
GaryMartin Offline
Underboss
GaryMartin  Offline
G
Underboss
I've read several articles on ISPN. Seems to be okay.

I made contact with one of the site managers (not sure about title) and requested a phone interview. I did get a very nice response declining my request. The individual who responded said he was not an authority on the information I requested (Accardo & Giancana). At least he did respond. I currently have two requests extended to former FBI agents in Chicago for telephone interviews, but I'm not optimistic. These guys do not like to talk on the phone.

One of the problems I have is trying to remember where I've read something. I've given up on names, I.e. people, places and things. I have saved some information, but there's just so much out there that it's not practical to save everything.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: IvyLeague] #695744
02/11/13 03:13 AM
02/11/13 03:13 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
i repeat, it was a different chart than the one composed by the people that made the big blue chart. i repeat, it was a different chart than the one composed by the people that made the big blue chart. i saw a chart posted by a journalist that he allegedy got from the fbi. different fbi people talk to different reporters, who write different articles which contain different infomation for people to use as quotes

Yes, you're referring to another chart that Scott (mcscott) posted. He did that one before the blue chart and it was simply a list of names, i.e. without the pictures. He claimed the same sources for both charts (feds, CCC) but the membership was inflated in both.

Here's a couple different sources, both from FBI guys in Chicago. One cited 28 members, the other about 30 members. Time to face reality, pal.

We have 28 made members of the Chicago Outfit roaming in the Chicagoland area. We have over 100 associates of the Chicago Outfit," Grant said.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5681103

Mallul estimates the Outfit has about 30 "made" members and a little more than 100 associates
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-09-30/news/0709300075_1_chicago-outfit-mob-boss-calabrese

and you know whose numbers are inflated because???????

nick calabrese gave the names of 60 made guys

but i guess his numbers are inflated too

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: GaryMartin] #695768
02/11/13 10:42 AM
02/11/13 10:42 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: GaryMartin
I currently have two requests extended to former FBI agents in Chicago for telephone interviews, but I'm not optimistic. These guys do not like to talk on the phone.

They probably want to get paid for it...

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: cookcounty] #695771
02/11/13 11:10 AM
02/11/13 11:10 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
i repeat, it was a different chart than the one composed by the people that made the big blue chart. i repeat, it was a different chart than the one composed by the people that made the big blue chart. i saw a chart posted by a journalist that he allegedy got from the fbi. different fbi people talk to different reporters, who write different articles which contain different infomation for people to use as quotes

Yes, you're referring to another chart that Scott (mcscott) posted. He did that one before the blue chart and it was simply a list of names, i.e. without the pictures. He claimed the same sources for both charts (feds, CCC) but the membership was inflated in both.

Here's a couple different sources, both from FBI guys in Chicago. One cited 28 members, the other about 30 members. Time to face reality, pal.

We have 28 made members of the Chicago Outfit roaming in the Chicagoland area. We have over 100 associates of the Chicago Outfit," Grant said.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=5681103

Mallul estimates the Outfit has about 30 "made" members and a little more than 100 associates
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-09-30/news/0709300075_1_chicago-outfit-mob-boss-calabrese

That's come up here before. It's from a blog post by Steve Warmiber. He could have misused the word "made." Or it could have included people who were dead. In any event it conflicts the FBI reports. Seeing who the FBI is he one he gave the info to, it's safe to assume they took whatever he said into consideration before releasing their number.

Last edited by jonnynonos; 02/11/13 11:11 AM.
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: cookcounty] #695793
02/11/13 02:17 PM
02/11/13 02:17 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Look, genius, I posted the figures straight from the FBI above. 28 and 30. They're right there for all to see. What more do you need?

And there was only a snippet in a Sun Times article where the journalist said Calabrese identified 60 members. Journalists often use the word "members" generically and fail to differentiate between who's actually made and who isn't. To make it even more confusing, as we saw in the Family Secrets indictment itself, guys can be a "member" of a certain crew but not be a "made member" of the Outfit.

The actual number of made guys, according to the FBI, seems to be 30 at most. At least as of 2007. That makes Scott's 50-80 figure inflated. And that's not surprising considering he's also inflated the figures for Detroit. Back in 1996, the total membership for Detroit was 30 at most. But over the past several years, his charts on the RD forum have ranged anywhere from 30 to almost 60 members. And he finally admitted, at one point, that he doesn't differentiate between members and associates on his charts. So him doing the same with Chicago isn't hard to imagine.

The bottom line is, you have an agenda and you'll go with whatever number is the biggest. If somebody else came along and claimed the Outfit had 100 members, you'd drop the 50-80 members immediately and go with the bigger figure.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 02/11/13 02:18 PM.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: IvyLeague] #695808
02/11/13 03:15 PM
02/11/13 03:15 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet

The bottom line is, you have an agenda and you'll go with whatever number is the biggest. If somebody else came along and claimed the Outfit had 100 members, you'd drop the 50-80 members immediately and go with the bigger figure. [/quote]

Truth be told I believe deep down inside we all have an agenda, with that said many here are proud and "rep" thier areas others just like to hear themselves talk. However thier is always the one who's agenda is ego. Here is another example of the thousand where you enjoy talking down to people. This site has lost so many readable, concise posters because of either age meaning not comp savvy and can't cut and paste an article to fulfill your source requirement or they just don't have that ego where they need this forum to fulfill that missing part of thier life you find as a neccesity.

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695823
02/11/13 03:46 PM
02/11/13 03:46 PM
G
GaryMartin Offline
Underboss
GaryMartin  Offline
G
Underboss
I remember reading during and after the FS trial that T. Markus Funk, one of the prosecutors, mentioned the number 28 in reference to The Outfit . I'm sure he was referring to the made members.

In any case I would certainly go with the FBI's number, whatever that might be.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: BlackFamily] #695828
02/11/13 04:17 PM
02/11/13 04:17 PM
ATL
SilentPartnerz Offline
Capo
SilentPartnerz  Offline
Capo
ATL
Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
Quick question. Is there a Eastside Chicago? And back when the Outfit had 7 crews, did they had the same structure as currently?

The EastSide of Chicago is called Lake Michigan.
(Sorry guys...I just could'nt resist lol)

Last edited by SilentPartnerz; 02/11/13 04:19 PM.

"Three can keep a secret..if two are dead."
Calogero Minacore
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: IvyLeague] #695865
02/11/13 05:36 PM
02/11/13 05:36 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss

Look, genius, I posted the figures straight from the FBI above. 28 and 30. They're right there for all to see. What more do you need?

And there was only a snippet in a Sun Times article where the journalist said Calabrese identified 60 members. Journalists often use the word "members" generically and fail to differentiate between who's actually made and who isn't. To make it even more confusing, as we saw in the Family Secrets indictment itself, guys can be a "member" of a certain crew but not be a "made member" of the Outfit.

The actual number of made guys, according to the FBI, seems to be 30 at most. At least as of 2007. That makes Scott's 50-80 figure inflated. And that's not surprising considering he's also inflated the figures for Detroit. Back in 1996, the total membership for Detroit was 30 at most. But over the past several years, his charts on the RD forum have ranged anywhere from 30 to almost 60 members. And he finally admitted, at one point, that he doesn't differentiate between members and associates on his charts. So him doing the same with Chicago isn't hard to imagine.

The bottom line is, you have an agenda and you'll go with whatever number is the biggest. If somebody else came along and claimed the Outfit had 100 members, you'd drop the 50-80 members immediately and go with the bigger figure.

first you claim no chart was ever posted stating the syndicate has 50-80 made men active, inactive or in jail. now you're admitting that there was a chart but those numbers were inflated.

now you're claiming that nick calabrese gave the names of 60 made men but they didn't differentiate if they were made or just members. common sense will tell you that the government asked him to name as many made guys as he could in open court. not too mention steve warmbir specifically said calabrese named 60 made men. so either you can't read or you're a liar, and we know you can read

Last edited by cookcounty; 02/11/13 05:37 PM.
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695886
02/11/13 06:11 PM
02/11/13 06:11 PM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Even assuming he was correct, the Warmiber article was published in 2009. However, Nick started cooperating in 2002. You have to guess Nick would have given them the names by the time the trial started in June, 2007. FBI agent Robert Grant threw out the 28 number in September, 2007.

So either FBI agent Robert Grant was not informed that there were nearly twice as many made men as he thought, or Warmiber was either 1) wrong in identifying them as “made men” 2) Nick had identified 60 people, dead or alive, from his entire career he knew as “made men.”

I personally feel the latter is plausible. Hell, half the people who’s names came up at the trial were dead—murdered or just died. I think it’s very possible the number referred to everyone who Nick had ever met he could certify was “made.”

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: cookcounty] #695962
02/12/13 12:17 AM
02/12/13 12:17 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

first you claim no chart was ever posted stating the syndicate has 50-80 made men active, inactive or in jail. now you're admitting that there was a chart but those numbers were inflated.

No, I said no chart showing 50-80 members from the FBI was posted on the forum.

Quote:
now you're claiming that nick calabrese gave the names of 60 made men but they didn't differentiate if they were made or just members. common sense will tell you that the government asked him to name as many made guys as he could in open court. not too mention steve warmbir specifically said calabrese named 60 made men. so either you can't read or you're a liar, and we know you can read

We really don't need to know what Calabrese meant, i.e. living, dead, etc. or whether the journalist got it right. We have statements from two different FBI officials telling us the membership. You're just grasping for any reason to ignore those numbers because you think they're too low and that just kills you and your image of the Outfit. Sorry pal, that's reality. Save yourself a lot of time and go sell your BS somewhere else. Because nobody is buying it here.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 02/12/13 12:35 AM.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: IvyLeague] #695973
02/12/13 01:29 AM
02/12/13 01:29 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss

No, I said no chart showing 50-80 members from the FBI was posted on the forum.

Quote:

We really don't need to know what Calabrese meant, i.e. living, dead, etc. or whether the journalist got it right. We have statements from two different FBI officials telling us the membership. You're just grasping for any reason to ignore those numbers because you think they're too low and that just kills you and your image of the Outfit. Sorry pal, that's reality. Save yourself a lot of time and go sell your BS somewhere else. Because nobody is buying it here.

so what calabrese said in court doesn't matter?

i'm sure he knows who most of the made guys are but you don't believe him

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: cookcounty] #695975
02/12/13 01:41 AM
02/12/13 01:41 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

so what calabrese said in court doesn't matter?

i'm sure he knows who most of the made guys are but you don't believe him

I'm not saying it doesn't count. I'm saying a small blurb in an article, that doesn't specify what he meant, hardly outweighs what the feds more recently said. If Calabrese had identified 60 made guys, currently living, the FBI would have said there were still that many, or nearly so, in 2007. But it was apparently 30 at most by that point.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #695985
02/12/13 03:19 AM
02/12/13 03:19 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
If Calabrese said it on witness stand, I would tend to think it was true.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #696005
02/12/13 09:41 AM
02/12/13 09:41 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
He didn't say it on the witness stand. It was a point reported by Warbimer as being brought up by prosecutors during sentencing to argue for leniency.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/mob/2009/03/what_the_prosecution_says_abou.html

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: jonnynonos] #696205
02/12/13 11:25 PM
02/12/13 11:25 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
He didn't say it on the witness stand. It was a point reported by Warbimer as being brought up by prosecutors during sentencing to argue for leniency.

witness stand or no witness stand

the fbi's federal prosecutors acknowledged calabrese told them 60 made guys

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: cookcounty] #696206
02/12/13 11:27 PM
02/12/13 11:27 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Once again, it apparently wasn't 60 currently living made guys. And that's assuming the journalist was even using the term "member" in the proper sense. Bottom line, the current total is about half that, at least since 2007. Period.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: IvyLeague] #696209
02/12/13 11:41 PM
02/12/13 11:41 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss

Once again, it apparently wasn't 60 currently living made guys. And that's assuming the journalist was even using the term "member" in the proper sense. Bottom line, the current total is about half that, at least since 2007. Period.

how do you know whether or not the people calabrese named are dead or alive?

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: cookcounty] #696212
02/12/13 11:53 PM
02/12/13 11:53 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

how do you know whether or not the people calabrese named are dead or alive?

If there were still 60 living members at the time Calabrese cited that figure (and once again that's assuming the journalist used "member" in the LCN sense) the FBI would haven't have cited 28-30 members in 2007. 30+ members didn't die during those years.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #696213
02/13/13 12:00 AM
02/13/13 12:00 AM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
my god, you chicago guys really take the cake when it comes to the mob! take a step back, and realize that we are in the present day, not the 60's, 70's, and early part of the 80's where your silly analogies would at least have some clout. the best that can be argued, imo, is that at their peak, the outfit was close to being as influential as the 3 historically weaker ny families, columbo, bonanno, and lucchese, seperately, although a strong case can be made that they were never even equal to these families on an individual basis.

if you guys want to pick a criminal area where you guys are ahead of nyc, the street gang scene would be your best bet! with regards to the # of made guys ect, i'm not sure, but i'm much more comfortable going with the more consistent # presented by the fbi and law enforcement in general, rather than defaulting to the highest # available to somehow try and prove my point. one thing however that i think we can all agree with is that the structure of the outfit is different than other families, thus the # of made guys seems to get under people's skin considering the influence the outfit is seemingly able to wield even at this stage in time. with that said, it might do a little to help some get over the low # if we could somehow come to an agreement on how many guys, whether made or not, have made guy status within the outfit. unfortunatly, that would likely end in the same arguments that we are faced with now.

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 02/13/13 12:06 AM.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #696214
02/13/13 12:01 AM
02/13/13 12:01 AM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Doesn't the phrase "made" and "member" blend in a way in Chicago? That Murry Humphries was a member no? Then there are the "made" guys, I.E. Italians? Way I interpreted was members were "connected" as they say in NYC and "made" is what it is?

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: EastHarlemItal] #696217
02/13/13 12:12 AM
02/13/13 12:12 AM
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
Doesn't the phrase "made" and "member" blend in a way in Chicago? That Murry Humphries was a member no? Then there are the "made" guys, I.E. Italians? Way I interpreted was members were "connected" as they say in NYC and "made" is what it is?

They didn't make guys during the Capone days. That didn't happen until later... not sure exactly when.

By many accounts Humphries was as powerful as anyone in the organization.

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: Five_Felonies] #696218
02/13/13 12:14 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
my god, you chicago guys really take the cake when it comes to the mob! take a step back, and realize that we are in the present day, not the 60's, 70's, and early part of the 80's where your silly analogies would at least have some clout. the best that can be argued, imo, is that at their peak, the outfit was close to being as influential as the 3 historically weaker ny families, columbo, bonanno, and lucchese, seperately, although a strong case can be made that they were never even equal to these families on an individual basis.

if you guys want to pick a criminal area where you guys are ahead of nyc, the street gang scene would be your best bet! with regards to the # of made guys ect, i'm not sure, but i'm much more comfortable going with the more consistent # presented by the fbi and law enforcement in general, rather than defaulting to the highest # available to somehow try and prove my point. one thing however that i think we can all agree with is that the structure of the outfit is different than other families, thus the # of made guys seems to get under people's skin considering the influence the outfit is seemingly able to wield even at this stage in time. with that said, it might do a little to help some get over the low # if we could somehow come to an agreement on how many guys, whether made or not, have made guy status within the outfit. unfortunatly, that would likely end in the same arguments that we are faced with now.

you mean they were on par with the genovese/gambino families at their peak

Re: Today Outfit's real power in Chicago ? [Re: Five_Felonies] #696219
J
jonnynonos Offline
Underboss
jonnynonos  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies

I think at this point people need to present some specific evidence of one argument or the other or just not address it. It's not very interesting to just say that my dad could beat up your dad.

Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull