Originally Posted By: SPQR
If you consider that Rizzutto was jailed in 2004, it would make sense to me that a headstrong DeVito and his cronies (all around 35 years old back then) would seize the opportunity to withhold kicking back funds to the Sicilians. Even Arcadi (read in Mafia Inc) lost some degree of muscle and the DeVito crew was said to challenge him. Clearly they had a sponsor(s) behind them. Was it DiMaulo or Arcuri ? Probably not in 2004. Vito's son was still alive and running operations to a certain degree and the elders still had not been arrested. I would say however that by the time law enforcement jailed most of the Rizzutos in 2006-7, that DiMaulo, Arcuri, DeVito Crew, other independents realized they had a chance to grab some power. We can now see today with hindsight and the latest events that they did not have much in terms of strategy. Unorganized, lots of egos and old issues stepped in the way. Add Desjardins who I am sure wanted his share and a very naive Salvatore Montagna arriving from NYC and wanting to take over....WOW,,,,,,too many unaligned players up for the power grab.

Very good summary, although I think they didn't fail due to bad strategy but due to lack of cohesiveness within their coalition. I think the attempted take-over of 2010 was very well planned and executed.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."