Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
From The Utica Press Dec 5, 1972:

"2 HELD IN "HOAX" SNATCH OF MAFIA CHIEF´S NEPHEW"

"Two men surrendered Monday in what they described as a hoax kidnaping of Emanuel "Manny" Gambino, nephew of ranking Cosa Nostra chieftain Carlo "Don Carlo" Gambino. But the government said the abduction was for real, and that the victim was believed dead. One of the pair, Henry Sentner 37, claimed the younger Gambino, a married man, arranged a phony kidnaping to get away from a girl friend, Nancy Masone.
However, Denis Dillon, head of Brooklyn's organized crime task force, said Gambino remains missing after six months, that his bloodstained automobile was found at Newark Airport in New
Jersey shortly after he vanished, and that he was believed to have been slain despite payment of a $31,500 ransom.
Sentner, of Sea Girt, N.J., was held with John Kilcullen of Brooklyn, in bail of$100,000 each. Two other men sought in the
case were identified as John Harrington and William Solin.

Sentner's lawyer protested to IS Magistrate Vincent Caloggio that the government had broken a promise by charging his client with kidnaping. The attorney said Sentner had agreed only to
testify that the abduction was a hoax.

Gambino disappeared May 18, less than two weeks before his 29th birthday, leaving behind a wife, Diane. There were published reports at the time that the kidnaping could have been a hoax, carried out at Gambino´s own request by Sentner, who
was said to be $40,000 in hock to the victim in gambling losses.
But the government said Sentner hatched the kidnap scheme early last May, secure in the belief that Gambino's powerful relatives would pay off rather than take authorities into their confidence.
Carlo Gambino has been described by federal authorities as boss of bosses in the Mafia, and head of one of New York City's
five organized crime families.

The FBI quoted Sentner as saying that he "knew Emanuel Gambino personally and had worked for him about six months as a runner in Emanuel Gamoino's gambling operation".
An FBI complaint also quoted Sentner as saying he met Gambino the day he disappeared, engineered ransom calls to the family, wrote a threatening letter to the victim's wife, and was present when the ransom eventually was picked up. Sentner's admissions came, the FBI added, after his handwriting was
"positively identified as the handwriting on the letter".
In addition, Dillon told the court Sentner's fingerprints were found on Gambino's car, when it was located June 2 in the Newark Airport parking lot. Its interior splotched with a large volume of human blood."

2nd article, from Heralds Statesman (in courtesy of Pizzaboy), now called the Journal News, Jan 27, 1973:

"AUTOPSY PLANNED ON GAMBINO KIN FOUND IN JERSEY"

"An autopsy will be performed today on Emanuel "Manny" Gambino, whose badly decomposed body was found in a shallow grave eight months after he was kidnapped.
Gambino, 29 was a nephew of underworld czar of Carlo Gambino, whose gunmen at one point were searching for the kidnappers. Two men surrendered to the FBI last month and two others are being sought. A 60 000 dollar ransom was paid at a clandestine rendezvous on the Palisades Parkway."

And here´s a third article, published in North Tonawanda Evening News Dec 9, 1974:

"WAS CONVICT TARGET OF POISONING ATTEMPT?"

"The convicted killer of an underworld crime boss may have drunk poisoned cocoa in his cell last month, authorities reported. Warden Louis Gengler said Sunday that Henry Robert Sentner, 38, was drinking cocoa on Nov. 22 in a cell he shared with seven other men in the Federal House of Detention "when he
complained about the bitterness of the chocolate drink."
Sentner was examined in the prison hospital facility and then taken to St. Vincent's Hospital where a physician said a "substance found in his (Sentner's) stomach could possibly be
strychnine," Gengler said. Sentner was retuned to the prison the next day.

Gengler added that a sampling of the stomach contents was sent to the FBI lab in Washngton and the "irregularity" was referred to the FBI for investigation.
The FBI lab report has not yet been returned, Gengler said. An FBI spokesman said the incident was still under investigation.
Sentner and three other men were arrested in December, 1972 and
charged with the May, 1972 kidnaping of Manny Gambino, 29.
In January, 1973 Gambino's body was unearthed from a grave in Colts Neck Township, N.J. with one gunshot wound to the
head. In June, 1973 Sentner pleaded guility to manslaughter in Gambino's death and was sentenced to three years in jail and 12 years on extortion charge after he admitted demanding a 35 000 dollar ransom."

///Robert Sentner was an uncle of Anthony Senter, later member of Roy DeMeo´s crew. But his last name seems to have been misspelled in these articles.

I failed to find any article linking James McBratney to this kidnapping gang. In your opinion, is it possible that McBratney was not involved with the kidnapping and murder of Manny?

And also, does anyone know which Carlo Gambino brother was the father of Manny?

Holy shit! I lived in Colts Neck, NJ for 12 years. I did not know that's where he Manny Gambino was dug up. I wonder where in Colts Neck he was exactly buried. I know every inch of that town. In my teenage years I went everywhere on foot; ten speed; dirt bike. Grew pot all over the place. LOL. Spents entire weekends in the woods camping and shit. Its mostly farms, woods, trails and pasturelands. Lots of mob guys lived/live there. I won't say who, but they're there.

"Three can keep a secret..if two are dead."
Calogero Minacore