Thank You Giordano for this reference. Paolo Gervais is actually Paolo Gervasi, who was slain in 2004. His son Salvatore Gervasi was slain 1-2 years before I believe. They owned the Castel Tina strip bar in Montreal where it was said that the son was working the dope ring with rival biker gangs (rival to Hells Angels and Rizzuttos). If you read into Mafia Inc book, you'll find more data on those events. I know a bit more info from years past but would rather not go into it. Suffice it to say that this theory makes sense. I recall when they killed the son, word on the street was that it was a sanctioned hit and they had been warned. I also recall that many people disappeared and looked for refuge and never (even to this day) stepped back in Montreal.

If you consider that Rizzutto was jailed in 2004, it would make sense to me that a headstrong DeVito and his cronies (all around 35 years old back then) would seize the opportunity to withhold kicking back funds to the Sicilians. Even Arcadi (read in Mafia Inc) lost some degree of muscle and the DeVito crew was said to challenge him. Clearly they had a sponsor(s) behind them. Was it DiMaulo or Arcuri ? Probably not in 2004. Vito's son was still alive and running operations to a certain degree and the elders still had not been arrested. I would say however that by the time law enforcement jailed most of the Rizzutos in 2006-7, that DiMaulo, Arcuri, DeVito Crew, other independents realized they had a chance to grab some power. We can now see today with hindsight and the latest events that they did not have much in terms of strategy. Unorganized, lots of egos and old issues stepped in the way. Add Desjardins who I am sure wanted his share and a very naive Salvatore Montagna arriving from NYC and wanting to take over....WOW,,,,,,too many unaligned players up for the power grab.

If Rizzutto is back in the number one spot, it is not because he took his place back after release fom US Prison by having (presumably) whacked his way back in , but rather because others were not able to seize the moment in a unified and efficient manner.

When a power vacuum occurs the first to seize power is the one who can unite others by convincing them and guaranteeing them that their interests will be looked after and met. He or she must have diplomacy skills, charm, ability to lead, respect through reputation and action. This is what kept Rizzutto in power so long. I do not see anyofbthese qualities in others from what I have read anywhere.