The non-Italian "members and associates" of the Chicago Outfit is an interesting topic and has been discussed in some other threads as well ( Chicago Outfit - not la cosa nostra? ).

I have read about guys like Jake Guzik, Murray Humphreys, Gus Alex, Joe Epstein, Sidney Korshak, Frank Wortman, Art Berne, Fred Evans etc. were in positions of authority and leadership, despite being non-Italian. I think the Outfit under Capone embraced doing business with non-Italians (as long as they were good partners). Capone loved and respected Guzik, who was as much a mentor as Torrio. I believe this business philosophy with non-Italians continued under Nitti, Rica and Accardo.

I read that Frank "Buster" Wortman, Art Berne and others in the Outfit crew in East St Louis had a "making ceremony". This crew was largely non-Italian. Jesse Stoneking gave testimony that Berne "made" him the same way that Wortman made Berne - he swore allegiance, promised not rat (omerta), etc. They did not burn a saint or draw blood from a finger, but a gun and knife were present.

Stoneking had a tattoo on his forearm that said "Outfit", and evidently many from this crew did the same.

I find it interesting that the Outfit crew in East St Louis was largely run by non-Italians, and was often in conflict with the St Louis family, which was mostly Italian.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.