Originally Posted By: GaryMartin

I remember either reading or hearing Romer say that at one time they (FBI) thought about the possibility of trying to get Accardo to "turn" but quickly decided it wouldn't work. Instead they focused their attention on Murray Humphreys, but were unsuccessful in getting him to "flip." They were successful in harassing Humphrey until he had a heart attack and died.

If you check the FBI files you will find many documents that have names which have been blackened out. Some of these blackened out areas are names of informants. I have been very surprised at the number of informants that were utilized by the FBI during the 50's and 60's. I don't remembering reading any documents from the 70's or later. Oh, I did read all the info. available relative to the Family Secrets case.

I've read a lot about Murray Humphreys and a little about Gus Alex. Both were high ranking Outfit members even though Humphreys was Welch and Alex was Greek (i believe this is correct). Both men were valuable assets to Ricca and Accardo. Humphreys value to the Outfit is legendary and Alex was apparently very close to Accardo.

I've also wondered about the structure of the street crews, divisions, or organization of the Outfit. I still have lots of questions.

Technically speaking, they were high-ranking associates, as they could never actually be "members" in the strict sense of the word.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.