I've spent the last year looking into this deal about Giancana and Accardo.. Basically what you stated Is what I found so far in my research. I'm still in the process of emailing people and requesting telephone interviews.

Basically what I've been told is both answered to Ricca. But Ricca went away in around 1959 on IRS problems (he also pulled some time in the 40's). Accardo was also having problems with the IRS and was actually convicted, but won on appeal. Ricca and Accardo both were trying to stay out of the lime lite for obvious reasons and around 1957 made Giancana the"day-to-day" boss of the outfit. Both Ricca and Accardo knew very well that the boss of "The Outfi" would have a bulls eye on his back. This was one of the main reasons the position of BOSS was created. Ricca and Accardo retained enormous power and influence, but allowed Giancana to take care of business.

Also, around 1957 the FBI (Roemer & Co.) came to town. I'm sure all forum members are familiar with the Top Hoodlum Program and Lockstep that was instituted by the FBI. These are facts documented by the FBI and all Outfit historians.

Giancana was apparently a money making son-of-a-gun and this pleased Ricca and Accardo. But there was another big problem developing. Mooney was drawing way too much attention because of his association with movie stars, entertainers and his involvement with the Castro conspiracy. He also had a big falling out with the Kennedys. I'm sure you folks have read this numerous times so there's no reason to go over it again.

Early in the 1960's newspapers, magazines and tabloids were showing pictures of Giancana with Frank Sinatra, Phyllis McGuire and others, on the front page of their respective publications. About the same time Giancana started missing meetings and not showing up for Outfit business. Members of the Outfit started complaining and eventually Murray Humphreys approached Ricca and Accardo expressing his concern. My understanding is that Accardo talked with Giancana and cautioned him about staying low out of the lime lite, etc. Giancana didn't take heed and continued his flamboyant lifestyle. Ricca, who had just gotten out of prison, and Accardo, who had just beaten a tax case, became frustrated and decided to replace Giancana. Around 1966 Giancana was removed. The actual details of the removal are sketchy. Giancana stated that "Tony Accardo ran me out of Chicago." Who knows how these things played out? But Giancana did leave and spent the next seven years in Mexico.

Ricca passed away in 1972 and Accardo was left to advise and rule on certain
matters relative to Outfit business. Giancana's old Taylor St. Crew either died or were systematically eliminated ( some apparently changed sides) during this time.

Giancana was kidnapped by Mexican officials and sent back to Chicago in the early 70's. This pretty much sealed the fate of Giancana. On June 19, 1975 he was shot to death in the basement of his home while preparing a meal for himself or someone.

Sam Battaglia was installed as Boss by Accardo.

Giancana and Accardo were very powerful, cunning, treacherous mobsters. At one time (late 50's early 60's) Giancana was probably the most powerful mobster in America. This was great for Ricca and Accardo because Giancana was making so much money........and that was good for business. Oh, one other thing that is worth mentioning is that some research indicates that Giancana refused to share some of his earnings with The Outfit. At this point I have not found any supporting evidence if the failure to share occurred before he went to Mexico. There is evidence that he refused to share earnings after he was sent to Mexico.

Accardo was the most successful of all Outfit bosses. His longevity and never spending time in jail (some reports indicate he did spend a night or two in jail) speaks volumes about his criminal ability.

Most all the research I did was from the Internet, books and individuals with whom I conducted telephone conversations. All with whom I talked said basically the same thing: Accardo survived and Giancana didn't.

A couple of points to keep in mind. About the time Giancana took over, the FBI came to town. Also, Ricca and Accardo were both in trouble with the IRS. Giancana had a golden opportunity because of the timing. His lifestyle resulted in his dismissal as Boss and his demise.

I have omitted a lot of information and may have included far too much because most of you have heard this many times

One last point. I'm no Outfit expert. Most everyone on this forum knows more than I. I simply became interested after reading some articles and decided to see if I could get some answers. I have absolutely no desire to argue or cast aspirations toward anyone.