NRA really punked out, as we used to say when I was a kid. First they shut down their social media for five days. Then LaPierre made his statement and walked off, refusing to take questions. They were not only afraid--they acted guilty, as if all the criticisms of the NRA came home to roost in the CT massacre.

That said, if it were feasible to put one or more armed guards in schools, that'd be a lot more effective than simply banning assault weapons and high-capacity mags. There are 3 million AR-15's in circulation--and they aren't the only assault rifles in peoples' hands. And, a reinstated ban also wouldn't affect the high-cap mags already in circulation, and those made before a ban went into place.

My fear is that well-meaning people will enact gun controls and think the problem is solved--until the next massacre. We need to look at how we diagnose, treat and report mental health issues--pro and con. And, even if you don't like NRA (and I don't), we still need to address why violence is so deeply ingrained in our culture.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.