Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Okay, I'll preface this by again stating that I'm a gun owner. I'm licensed out of necessity in both Florida and New York State. I have assets to protect and I'm not ashamed of that. Actually, I'm quite proud of that. Anyway, I think I'm pretty middle of the road (read: objective) on the matter, and I'll again state that assault weapons are not for private citizens.

So just answer me this and be honest enough to give me a one word answer, yes or no: If Lanza's mother didn't have an assault weapon in her home last Friday, could he have killed all those people?

I'll tell you my answer to the question: It's a big fat NO. Even if he showed up with half a dozen handguns someone might have rushed him and a few lives would have been spared. Hell, if one life was spared, then in my opinion that would justify the ban on assault weapons forever in this country.

I really hate to get into a debate here, but it kills me to listen to some of the crap I am reading. As PB says in New York State all people who would like to have a hand gun must get a license. Not hard to get but some times the waiting list is long and can take months at times depending on the county you live in. Most of these are for you to own and transport your gun to and from places such as the range etc. This does not give you the right to walk around town like the old west.
Rifle, shotguns or long guns do not need to be licensed. But a background call is made when you buy from a dealer, but not from a private sale.

If you like you can apply for what they call a CC permit or concealed carry or Carry licensee. A lot harder to get now, but some older ones were grandfather in from many years ago. This allows me to carry a firearm at any time except in certain places. I am not to carry into banks, schools and Federal buildings for examples. I admit that I have forgotten once and have taken mine into the bank. All my firearms are recorded on my licensee of what I own and can carry.

I have taken advance training with law enforcement personal and ATF agents. I belong to and practice at indoor and outdoor ranges and have taken several class on defensive gun usage. Gun ownership is no joke and never to be taken lightly. Unless I have my gun with me it has a trigger lock on it and is in the gun safe that we own. So that is a little bit on my background, not to brag but to make you aware.

Problem is that people throw the words Assault weapon around when many times these are not assault weapons being used. Assault looking or semi automatic is not an assault weapon. Damn they have BB guns that look like them in style but that doesn't make it an assault weapon.Assault weapons are (FULLY Automatic) Hold the triger and they just keep on shooting till the gun is empty is an easy way to explain it. The press added terms like high powered hand guns and professional quality guns? I may be wrong but I heard that he also had single shot weapons and non semi automatic guns also even if he didn't enter the building with them.
This kid with his problems should have never been anywhere near these guns even with his mother, period. He was unstable at best and his mother and others paid the price for her mistake.

Sorry PB but this kid even without a semi automatic weapon was going to walk all thru that school until he was stopped by officer with another weapon. This school was the perfect storm. Taught to take the children to a safe area and wait. These little angels aren't going to rush anyone and the teachers had the kids to worry about. They we told to lock their door and wait for help. Schools are a gun free zone remember. He could have reload several times with the time factor being his only problem. Then he took his life when real help showed up.

And most gun owners swear that if they were there they would have taken him down. Another half baked tale. Any class will teach you the fear factor and the training it takes to overcome it. Gun ownership doesn't make you brave unless you are stupid. You train to be able to point that weapon and possible take a life under extreme stress no matter what you think you could do most will not when the time comes.

Now listen to the tribe all get flamed up and egged on about the evil gun empire.
Please learn what a REAL assault weapon is before you call for the collection of all firearms is all I am saying. Assault weapons are never needed as far as I am concern.

Now taking Guns from BAD people is a must. Street gangs, Drug groups etc. But you see how good we have been with that, or the drugs trade or drunk driving. Shit how many weapons did the feds lose down in Mexico?

The good people are the only ones that follow the laws, and the easy ones to take guns away from I guess.

I hope we finally get help to those parents who have kids that need more help then their parents can give them. That would be the real first step in stopping this type of evil event. But that cry isn't as grand as fighting the evil gun empire. And they have been taking money from mental health ever time there is a need to save money...so look what it has produced. It takes something like this to happen before some $$ will be once again spent.

Everyone be safe and find some love in your hearts for the other guy once in a while.

Last edited by fathersson; 12/18/12 04:06 PM.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!