Oh and for the record, those that are seriously arguing teachers or principals should be armed...think about this seriously for a moment.

In war, how many times have we read stories about innocent civilians getting killed in battle? How about reports of friendly fire accidents? Unintentional, but THEY DO UNFORTUNATELY HAPPEN. The same goes for whenever police get into shootouts with criminals, bystanders get hit or worse.

Why? Because life isn't an action movie where you pull out a gun, plug a baddie, put gun back in holster, THE END. No anytime when guns are drawn, you have chaos with bodies moving everywhere and chaos reigns when you're responding quickly and don't have time at all to think clearly and know your surroundings. Seriously how routinely does it feel when we hear about a cop killing a guy who was reaching out for his wallet because he thought this guy was pulling out a piece?

Then there are physics at play. Ricochet bullets have hurt God knows how many folks. And you can't plan or do anything really against that. Even when people are shot, bullets can pass through and continue on their trajectories...and possibly hit other people.

And the thing is, cops and soldiers are paid, trained, and conditioned to do as best as possible in these shall we say, war zone situations. Most prepared for using their weapons to pacify a hostile enemy, i.e. eliminating.

Teachers aren't. Oh sure you can make them take a course and hope (unless legally obligated) they routinely go target practicing, but they're not soldiers or cops. Even strapped with a gun, they're not going to be in the constant self-preparing mind frame of engaging in gunfire like cops and soldiers are. They're mind frame is homework and fretting about their shit pay and wondering why they didn't go to law/medical school.

If cops and soldiers have the same accidents with bullets as I mentioned above, logic surely dictates that they would have the same problems. IF NOT WORSE. Unless you're willing to tell me with a straight face that a balding Chemistry professor or Kindergarden teacher won't fuck up?

I'll tell you all this. If the right now calling for armed teachers have their way, the next shooting happens and a teacher/principle accidentally plugs an innocent kid...what you think the public and family of such collateral damage will just shrug? No they'll be angry, demand action, and we'll be back where we are right now. Then what next, make kids wear kelvar? School metal detectors?

Why are guns banned from schools in the first place? Guns kill people, purposeful or not. Kids go to schools. Guns kill + Kids = Dead kids. That's why we banned them in the first place. Right? Sometimes there was common sense originally.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 12/17/12 02:34 AM.