For those who claim that having armed guards or armed teachers could stop these shootings, please remember that Presidents have been shot while being protected by one of the best armed security forces in the world.

I read today that since the Columbine massacre in 1999, 266 people have died in spree shootings in the US. That does NOT include the shooters themselves, many who have taken their own lives. When you add in the shooters and the injured, the number approaches 500. And most of them involved shooters who had obtained their guns legally. Don't tell me our gun laws are not an issue.

As for on-screen violence and its contribution, my daughter actually just did her nursing psych rotation and wrote an in-depth research paper on the topic. Her hypothesis was that violence in TV, movies and video games contributes to violent behavior. However, her research actually proved her theory wrong. While exposure to violence did desensitize reactions to violence, it did not make the viewer more violent themselves.

FS, yes, the knife rampages in China are indeed horrible. However, I'm sure that Newtown would rather have 22 injured children (and none of them seriously injured) than be facing 28 funerals in the next week.

Last edited by Sicilian Babe; 12/15/12 04:22 PM.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club