Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Very true, I actually got use to it. Took an extra 5-10 minutes (depending on the lines) to go into the school in the morning but not a big deal.
i don't necessarily think all schools, particularly suburban or more rural schools need to go that far as it seems they are more in danger from outside sources rather than students themselves. with that said, that model seems to work very well in more crowded, and potentially more gang infested innercity schools.

Well your first point can also be argued the other way, tragedies like Newtown, Columbine, etc in communities that are not inner-city would suggest that these are the communities that would need at a minimum a number of these measures implemented the most, but I agree that innercity schools are the ones that nowadays should require this type of security model to deter problems that are caused by gangs,etc.

My high school was a case in point, we had every kind of gang. Crips, bloods, Latin Kings, Asians, sons of wiseguys, which when all mixed up make for a very interesting school day to say the least.My HS had a fullpage spread in the NYTimes a few years back when Bloomberg finally closed/broke it up. I wont say the name for obvious reasons. How did I survive this without any problems people (particularly from rural/suburban areas)always ask me? Well, I was friends with everybody (naturally friendly) plus I was that kid on the baseball team, class president, honor roll, college bound, etc that everybody knew/liked. Helped me stay alive thats for sure, many of these violent kids look out/are very friendly to the popular kids (not always).

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 12/15/12 04:06 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.