Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
some reports seem to suggest the shooter might have been a parent of a student at the school, but its still too early to tell. when i hear about these incidents, my first thought is always when the hell are ALL schools gonna have some real security? metal detectors and armed security gaurd or cop would go a long way in preventing these kinds of incidents. sadly, most schools definition of "security" is some old retired guy with maybe a radio who's sole responcibility seems to be catching kids smoking or some other meaningless crap. notice how the majority of these incidents usually occur in suburban or rural schools where security is almost non-existent. this doesn't seem to happen in say nyc, where there are police in and around every school, as well as metal detectors in alot as well.

My high school had a mini-police precinct (literally) in the basement, along with metal and BOMB detectors when you enter the school, id's to swipe into a machine, security guards, individual searches, etc. A few kids use to try and sneak blades into their sandwiches in the morning. Just a normal everyday experience going to school in the BX, it became the norm for me.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.