Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: Mignon
Stricter gun laws will not stop this.

How do we know until we try. As TIS said earlier, a huge percentage of guns can be purchased with no waiting period, no background check. Why? Who needs a gun so desperately that they can't wait a few days? If you can't wait, then you're probably up to no good.

I don't want to stop anyone from hunting or protecting themselves, but enough is enough. Obviously, this system isn't working. We need change, and we need it now. Gun-control chatter starts up after something like this, and then shuts down afterwards.

SB,

I don't think any of us who want stricter gun laws/background checks want to stop anybody from owning a gun. It's the NRAs spin that people buy into. My immediate family weren't hunters but many of my extended family are. However, making someone "qualify" to own a gun is not out of line IMHO.

That being said, gun-clingers need not get "up in arms", I don't think anything will be done, even after this horrible tragedy. frown

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon