Originally Posted By: Appolla
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Originally Posted By: Trilogy
I must say though, Vito's bad karma was losing a son, being shot multiple times and other tragic things he encounterd.

As for Michael, he fought for his country and intially didn't want anything to do with the life of crime. All he wanted was to live a humble life with Kay. So deep down his roots were innocent and good. Vito had to channel his success through someone, sadly it had to be Michael.

im sorry but thats a bunch of crap. Vito made his own bed. Mike made his own bed. The only difference is that Vito would never harm his family like mike did

Well we will never know. Vito's brother never risked the life of his wife, children and his actions never led Carmella to leave Vito and abort their unborn child. Maybe he would have killed a brother so stupidly harmful too.

I think the question to discuss would be if Vito was alive during Fredo's betrayal, if Vito would have allowed Michael to kill him (or give his support towards the hit). I believe that what sealed Fredo's fate wasn't his betrayal per se, it was his vehement rant to Michael about being passed over and about there supposedly being "something in it for [him]". That rant made it clear to Michael that he could never be trusted, since he wouldn't yield to Michael's leadership and could easily be swayed again (imagine someone like Don Altobello in GF3 approaching Fredo with the same kind of story). I personally think if it wasn't for that rant Fredo would have been exiled from the family and probably set up with a sustenance living and then cut off, but not killed.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi