Originally Posted By: Mr_Willie_Cicci
What I mean is, if you're totally unconnected, how would one get connected, without seeming too hard up? You don't want to come off like a wanna be and be sticking your head up some connected guy's ass, don't get you nowhere. But what do you do?

You don't want to come on too strong; that's for damn sure. That's an easy way to get someone to think you're setting them up (even if you're not). The most successful street guys carry around what I like to call a bit of "healthy paranoia." If they don't know you, they're not gonna sit down with you without an introduction from a mutual friend. And if you have absolutely no ties at all---to the neighborhood or otherwise---you're not going to have an easy time of it.

The truth is, years ago you'd probably put yourself in danger by hanging around where no one knew who you are just because you want to be a wiseguy. Like I posted earlier, if you're from fucking Montana or some such place, and no one ever heard of you, you're better off taking a civil service exam whistle.

Did you grow up in New York, Willie? Or was that just your Dad and his family?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.