Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
When speaking about versions of A Christmas Carol, I'm forced to admit I have a little more than the usual knowledge on the subject. For one thing, I played the part of Scrooge on two different occasions a number of years ago (directed one of the productions), I wrote my own stage adaptation of it, and I've also collected as many different versions as I could find (film, TV, radio) - though in recent years I will admit that I've eased up on the collection.

Anyway, the version with Alastair Sim was made in England in 1951. Called Scrooge in the UK, it was known as A Christmas Carol here in the US, where it became a holiday tradition on television - at least here in the NYC area. When I was quite young, the scene with Marley's Ghost used to scare the bejeezus out of me! It's been released on tape and DVD under the original title, I believe. One the very best versions, and one of my all-time favorites.

Alastair Sim also voiced Scrooge in an animated cartoon version made in the early 1970's. Michael Hordern again was Marley, as he had been in the 1951 film. Beautifully drawn, with everything resembling the old engravings that originally illustrated the story. My only complaint - it was too short!

The 1938 film version was made in the US by MGM, and starred Reginald Owen. Lionel Barrymore, who performed the role annually on radio, had been set to star in the movie adaptation, but illness forced him to step aside and Owen got the part, I believe, on Barrymore's recommendation.

Signor V.

Thank you, SV. It was the 1951 version that I liked, which I mistakenly referred to as the 1930s version. I never knew thewe was a cartoon version with Sim.

What were the creative features or challenges you had with the adaptation you produced? My late brother was particularly fond of "A Christmas Carol," and owned various recordings of radio and album productions.