Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Its true pizzaboy i live in Yonkers and a lot of the italians have moved out which sucks. I remember when i was an altar boy years ago on Midland Avenue and a wiseguy gave my friend and I $100 each for a funeral we served in

There used to be tons of Italians in Yonkers, buddy. From Midland to Lockwood to Park Hill to all along the Cross County corridor. I had a ton of family up that way myself. But like you said, they've mostly moved to the northern suburbs. I have cousins who moved all the way up to Putnam County.

A lot of people call that assimilation and I don't argue with that. I think assimilation is a good thing. But you also have to factor in what they call "white flight." Italians are the kings of that. When neighborhood demographics start to change, the Italian Americans who can afford it tend to take off.

Compare that to the Irish, who are too stubborn to leave their neighborhoods (and I mean that with both respect and awe). Woodlawn is virtually unchanged all these years. Sometimes I'll take a ride up to Katonah Avenue because I have an old high school friend who owns a bar up there. That neighborhood hasn't changed in 40 years. Good for them.

And unless you're new or living on another planet, everyone here knows that I'm Italian on both sides. Been to Italy a dozen times. Proud as can be. But I'm just posting the truth. When the neighborhoods start to change, the Italians are the first ones out the door.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.