Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
COMPLETELY AGREE, I am actually surprised a situation like the one you described hasn't already happened particularly after GW Bush signed executive order 13224 after 9/11. Among other things, the order authorized the seizure of assets of organizations or individuals designated by the Secretary of the Treasury to assist, sponsor, or provide material or financial support or who are otherwise associated with terrorists. It cast a big net, IMO.

There are also individuals states who have passed or have their own expanded Patriot Act, e.g. Ohio. The Ohio Patriot Act gives law enforcement officials authority to deny entry to individuals entering "transpotration infrastructure" who will not provide identification when there is determined to be a security threat and officials are requiring identification from all individuals entering. The bill also gives law enforcement officials authority to demand the name, address and date of birth of any individual who is "reasonably suspected" of having committed or was witness to a felony. Failure to provide this information would be a misdemeanor.

Brilliant post, Dapper. It's impossible to argue with facts, laws and numbers, or to downplay the notion that guys like Carlo Gambino and Frank Costello were up against a very different justice system. If you were in the life, you still had a shot back then.

Now again, I am not condoning the slippery slope that the Patriot Act puts us on. But these measures are here to stay, and the fanboys have to take a good luck at them when posting that the American mob will be around forever.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.