I agree that he is an odd duck. He is obviously deeply knowledgable on the Outfit but I don't know why he would say all that nonsense.

Potentially he is a castoff from the old American News Post threads.

I really don't know the answer to your question. I can't remember if I've ever heard anyone insinuate that Accardo was NEVER the day to day boss. That really wouldn't make any sense at all.

I do think a few of the guys on the old American News Post threads, who were almost like Outfit PhDs, seemed to indicate that his role as a day to day boss was far shorter and less substantial than is generally made out, but like I said, those guys have their own issues. They knew an incredible amount but it always came from some family member and they would never believe anything else in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And like I said, they were all huge fanboys of Sam Giancana.

I just finished Gus Russo's book and even though it really advanced Murray Humphries as being the driving force behind the Outfit for decades he acknowledged Accardo as pretty much being the boss/having the role he is traditionally thought to have.