Originally Posted By: carmela
Mylena has several DiMaulo's on her friends' list as well as a couple Cotroni's.
What this means, I have no idea. It's been a long week.

carmela:

The murdered Di Maulo had two daughters.

Mylena married Frank Cotroni Jr., the son of Frank Cotroni Sr. Frank Sr. was the brother of Vincenzo Cotroni, the long-reigning captain of the Bonanno Family's Montreal "crew," officially, up until his death in 1984.

Di Maulo has only recently been correctly identified in newspaper articles as having ancestry from Molise, having actually been born there. Luigi Greco, identified for decades in books and articles as Sicilian-born, being born in Sicily, etc., has shown up in some mobwatchers' research in the last few years as someone who was actually born in Canada to parents descending from Montorio nei Frentani in Campobasso, Molise. The surname Di Maulo is found among residents of Montorio nei Frentani.

A reliable source told me Di Maulo was born in Campobasso, but the source could not tell me whether Di Maulo was born in the comune or the provincia.

Since I've already gone off on several tangents, I just wanted to point out that Frank Cotroni Sr.'s visitation took place at the Rizzuto-owned funeral home in 2004 and that the visitation for Frank's murdered son, Paolo, also took place there in 1998.

The Calabrian faction -- both of these last two words should be in quotation marks -- had always consisted of numerous individuals whose ancestry came from regions of Italy other than Calabria and Sicily. When law enforcement, journalists, and authors use the term "Calabrian faction" today, as in the past, they mean members of the old Cotroni-Violi group, as Cotroni and Violi were Calabrian. However, I want to add that many law-enforcement officers, crime reporters, and organized-crime writers regularly misidentify members of the Montreal Mafia as having Calabrian ancestry without verifying this information.

After many years of research, I've come to the opinion there never was a purely Sicilian faction or a purely Calabrian faction in the Montreal Mafia -- especially if researchers are correct about Luigi Greco's place of birth and ancestry. The mafia war in Montreal in the 1970s was in essence between Nick Rizzuto Sr. and Paolo Violi. The first person Nick Sr. ordered killed in the war was Violi's Sicilian adviser Pietro Sciara, born in Siculiana but raised in the Rizzutos' hometown of Cattolica Eraclea.

Last edited by antimafia; 11/07/12 09:21 PM. Reason: Made a number of revisions to my original post.