I just heard on our local news radio station that the lines for gas out in Long Island (SC's territory) are worse than they've ever been, despite what our elected officials and the spokesweasels are saying publicly.

The station (WINS) sent a roving reporter in his car to check things out, and he found that only a fraction of the gas stations are even open because they don't have power for their pumps. Those stations that do have power have lines that are humongous and the wait is several hours, at best.

And why? Because the stations are not considered a high priority. LIPA won't even set up generators for them. People have run out of gas waiting on these lines. Fights have broken out because people jump the line.

In the NYC (five boroughs) area, I understand that there is a police officer stationed at each open gas station to keep some sort of order.

Now, with the Nor'easter headed our way tomorrow, the power companies (particularly LIPA) are predicting more outages. They say the problem isn't as much the rain as the damage done by the heavy winds.

Either way, while it may not quite be up to the level of Sandy, it doesn't look particularly good.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."