Originally Posted By: jace
I found something on case against Cirilo. I was surprised to see they bought it in from Montreal, and not right into United States.

http://federal-circuits.vlex.com/vid/united-america-louis-cirillo-defendant-36771053

Nice find.

I know that Cirillo, while out on bail awaiting trial in the heroin case, was back in custody arrested for and accused of plotting to murder a prosecution witness. I don´t know if this accusation went on trial but the police said at the time, the new charge stemmed from an alleged plot to blow up a building in Staten Island where the witness, Roger Preiss, was held in protective custody.

I found an article, published in the Hereld Statesman, March 2, 1984 interesting.

"French connection figure convicted again"

"A major figure in the "French connection" heroin smuggling scheme of the early 1970s was convicted Thursday of running a narcotics ring from prison. Louis Cirillo. 60, who was sentenced in 1972 to 25 years in prison for drug trafficking, was found guilty of arranging heroin deals from his cell in the Federal Correctional Institution at Otisville. Cirillo was convicted of a narcotics conspiracy charge and attempted possession of two kilograms of heroin. Assistant U.S. Attorney Peter J. Romatowski said Cirillo faces up to 30 years in prison for each charge, double the normal penalty because of his previous record.
He was convicted aftera six-day trial before Judge Dudley B. Bonsai at U.S. District Court in Manhattan. The jury deliberated 2 and a half hours.
According to the government's case, Cirillo directed a heroin organization operated in New York City by his son and others. Cirillo's son, Louis Cirillo Jr., 26, was sentenced Jan. 3 to five years in prison for his role in the ring. Ralph Battista, 34, of the Bronx, was sentenced to seven years and Anthony Fantasia, age not available, was
sentenced to three years. The prosecutor said defendant Alex Metro of Queens is a fugitive.
At the time of his 1972 conviction, Cirillo was considered one of the major heroin
traffickers in the United States. He was involved in importing large amounts of heroin concealed inside cars shipped to the United States by way of France and Canada, authorities said. The scheme, known as the "French connection" was much like the subject of a movie by the same name."

[Linked Image]