I know this topic has probably been covered a million times in various other threads, but I thought I'd put my own spin and opinion on this. The stae of the mafia families in the US and how they are currently. I'll go down the list.
Power: Rank on scale of 1-10
Genovese- They take hits, but far fewer than the rest of New York. Their secret and not at all flashy. They have the most men on the street and no one matches them in terms of power. Like every family, they aren't what they used to be. But these guys are still the Ivy League of organized crime: 9
Gambino- Cefalu is free and a fair amount of capos with Lenny DiMaria due out soon and others. These guys nearly destroyed themselves when the Gotti's were in power, but they've kept it together somehow. No big indictments since take down day: 8
Lucchese- Crea will benefit the Family being the top boss. They have about 100 soldiers, and they have plenty of captains still on the street. Third most powerful after Gambino and Genovese:7
Bonanno- They've been shaky since Massino turned informant. No boss has stayed on the street for more than three years. As with all the New York Families, they still have a sizable precense and plenty of bread winners: 6
Colombo- Easily the weakest of the Five. But I agree with IvyLeague. They aren't going anywhere, but with their entire administration locked up, the outlook is grim. Still the mafia has proven to be resilient. So will they: 4
Chicago Outfit- From from hurt after Marcello, Calabrese, and Lombardo were locked up. DiFronzo and co. have plenty of guys on the street, though not as widespread as New York, they are still active within Chicago and are running strong: 7.5
Philly- A year and a half ago they would've been at least a 7. Now they are in transition period, trying to hold off the Feds while Ligambi is on trial. Merlino will take the reins again, but as to how long he'll remain out of jail is anyone's guess: 4
DeCavalcante- No big indictments since 2005, and Frank Guaracci and Joe Miranda are still on the street. New Jersey is anyone's guess because little is known about them right now, but mine is that they are operating but I'm not sure if they've climbed out of the hole: 6
Patriarca- This Family is an absolute mess. The DiNunzio brothers are in prison, DeLuca and Rossetti turned informant. There's no clear boss and the North End faction is severely weakened: 3
Buffalo- I don't think anyone really knows about this Family anymore. Some say they are still fairly active, others claim their operations are independent from one another. I wouldn't call them dead, but I've heard Lenny Falzone is boss and they still run gambling in upstate New York: 4
Detroit- Another mysterious Family. Jack Tocco is Boss, and he's been out of the can since 2001. They are all getting old, but probably are still reeling in money. What influence they hold outside of Detroit is anyone's guess. But I'll give them a 6.5 since they avoid law enforcement.

Alright I'm done. Any thoughts?

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone