Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I would think that the problem with cooking filet mignon well done is that the cut is thick. By the time you would cook it well all the way through, it is going to be dry and overcooked.

Well, the chefs discussed the proper way to cook a well-done filet before the contestants attempted their versions. The way they described it, it ain't easy. At least, not for a beginner. In this case it appears that, just like in comedy, timing is everything.

What I recall was that the meat must be pan-seared all over to keep the juices in, then finished in the oven. The filet must then be removed, and allowed to rest for half the time it was in the oven before it is served. When it rests, it must rest elevated (probably on a rack, or something similar), and not flat on any surface, or it will continue to cook. They didn't discuss oven temperatures, or cooking time in the oven, but this information could probably be quite easily found online.

I wouldn't mind making one of these at home once in awhile. I'd trust my own cooking over a restaurant's, but still - the price... sick

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."