Originally Posted By: jace
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
He gave up a lot of info to the feds. He talked about murders, burial sites and named names. I think Tony Provenzano got the worst of it but also Bonanno capo Joe Ziccorelli got its share.
But Konigsberg never testified against anybody, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps he chickened out.

Do you think they were afraid to put him on stand because his crimes might overshadowed those of whom he testified against ? A jury could have been totally turned off when they herd his confessions on stand. I'm surprised I never heard of him, but I am new to this, he sounds like a worse maniac than recent informers.

You may be right Jace.
But also, (And I´m def no expert on US laws, so anybody who has some insight in this, please do correct me if I´m wrong) prior to the 60s, criminals were not allowed to testify against other criminals unless there were additional witnesses (not incriminated in the same crime) giving testimony. I think a law was later passed in the 60s allowing this.
Not even Valachi testified against a member of the Mafia until 1969 when Carmine Persico was convicted of highjacking.
I think Konigsberg was already convicted and sentenced to life by that time.

And also, at that time there was no Witness Protection Program. Perhaps the thought of living out the rest of his life, isolated in a prison down in Texas and without interacting with other prisoners (as in the case of Valachi), was not an option for Konigsberg.

[Linked Image]