Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
One guy that hasn't been mentioned is Valachi, although it might just be semantics because he was made prior to the Five Families being divied up.

I´m not exactly sure what you mean by "he was made prior to the Five Families being divided up". But prior to the Castellammarese war, the Five Families had already been established. The bosses were Masseria, Mineo, Reina, Schiro and Profaci. During the war, former Masseria loyalists switched sides to Maranzano´s. I guess one can argue that the New York Mafia consisted of two factions by this time (actually three because Profaci was considered neutral) but the NY Mafia was still de facto structured into five different Families.

I guess I could have worded it better, Hairy. I indeed meant that there were basically two warring factions at that point (Masseria and Maranzano). Regardless, I'm sure that I noted that Valachi's original "goombah" was Bonanno. But like I said, it's pretty convoluted and technically may not be considered a switch. I was just trying to add something to the topic.

I understand smile
The New York Mafia was in great disarray at the time and the circumstances are extremely complicated. Some crime historians claim that also the Maranzano Family had split into two factions. The murder of Joseph Parrino, who was appointed boss by Masseria and most likely killed by Maranzano gunmen, seems to suggest this.

[Linked Image]