I have no problem with Kansas City fans booing him. It comes with the territory, and while the criteria for selection to the derby are largely subjective, they had a hometown boy, who could have been included, but wasn't. I'm sure Cano didn't take it personally.

If MLB wants to make sure a hometown player is included in future competitions, I have no problem with it. As I discussed above, I have minimal interest in it, but the fans, who fill the All-Star stadium, enjoy the spectacle, and adding a home team boy to the mix would increase excitement. For the most part players generally aren't too disappointed not to be part of this exhibition.

I know the All-Star game rosters were expanded to avoid the debacle of 2002 when Torre and Brenly persuaded to pull the plug on a tied game, so that the last pitchers avoided a risk of being overworked. I think this makes it a little easier for all teams to offer a good player to the game.

I support having all teams represented in the game because the All-Star Game is a celebration of the entire league and all of the fans. Every year there are players selected to the team, who opt out due to injury or some other reason. Sure, several teams like Oakland, Kansas City, Montreal/Washington and Pittsburgh have often struggled to keep all-star caliber players, but I think there aren't too many players, selected, who are completely undeserving.