I know China, Thailand and Indonesia routinely execute drug traffickers and Triad members. I guess that's pretty harsh.

As far as Australia, a life sentence generally means the rest of the convicted's natural life, although often with a term set for a 'non-parole period'. Of course, a life sentence is generally only handed out in the case of murder. For instance, drug trafficker and gang boss Carl Williams was convicted of several murders in 2007 and sentenced to life imprisonment with a non-parole period of 35 years. Her served three before he was bashed to death with the stem of an exercise bike.

Mostly, though, its spree and serial killer/sex offenders that get the life sentence. Most drug traffickers will be sentenced to a maximum of 10 to 15 years for massive scale drug networks (last time I checked, it was a mandatory 7 years for possesion with intent to supply) There's been cases of biker extortion plots that have resulted in a laughable few years, if that. Australia does however have RICO style laws in place, and generally an individual can be charged as part of a whole.

(cough.)