As far as I know, in Russia (where I come from) the laws against organized crime are a complete chaos. For example, you can get 15 years for robbery, but less than 10 years for murder in some cases. For example, I heard about a case of a businessman who was given only 4 years for having ordered a murder. I could understand if he were formally acquitted (even though that would usually mean he has bought the judges), but being acknowledged as guilty of murder and given such a ridiculous sentence doesn’t make any sense from any point of view. I also read about a mobster (who unfortunately was later acquitted) for whom even the prosecution asked only 10 years with a suspended sentence even though he was indicted for two murders. The explanation may be that these two were invalids, but still, if they were able to order murders even in such a condition…
In other cases there are heavy sentences though, up to life in prison.
There is a law similar to RICO though, but unfortunately it’s rarely used, even though the sentences can be heavy enough.

By the way, a question about the laws in Canada: I just watched the “Mob stories: the big guy” documentary and read some articles on internet and I have a question: why was Frank Cotroni given only 8 years for murder? Just because he pled guilty (but still, it’s murder anyway, why only 8 years?) or did he buy the judges? When lesser members of his clan were arrested for murder, they were given much heavier sentences.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."