Originally Posted By: Gangster_Fiction
What I'm trying to understand (if there is even a logical explanation) was why Stracci and Cuneo were (outwardly) neutral up until that point, given all that had transpired concerning the Turk's attempt on a Don's life and the resulting Corleone-Tattaglia hostilities.

Because war is bad for business and it's better to stay neutral than to be involved in a feud between two other families.

Quote:
For instance, the Don later calling the meeting of the assorted powerful Dons from around the country seems to suggest the existence of some sort of 'Commission', as occurred in real life. The most fundamental rule of such a body (out of self-preservation, if nothing else!) is that you don't whack a Don without the Commission's approval. That is--supposedly, at least--just plain suicide.

In The Godfather there is also a Commission, and it's true that only the Commission can decide to kill a boss. But in this case it was Sollozzo -- who wasn't officially part of any family -- who made his move against Corleone. He could do this because he was backed by two other major families. Sollozzo was just a pawn. I think that if he succeeded he would later also be killed just as a matter of principle, and because he was disposable.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."