Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I think the only saving grave Scott has is that he claims he cut off 30 minutes off for the theatrical edit. I'm pretty sure that lost half-hour can save the movie for me, but again this was the guy behind BLADE RUNNER. That went from hated flop to classic after his original version was released.

Another example was KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, a movie I saw in theatres and sorta hated. Reluctant for years to watch his DC of that one because life's too short. But then I saw it, and that was a very good movie with moments of true greatness.

So maybe he'll do it again? But this comes to mind that story about THE GODFATHER when Robert Evans and Paramount tried to get Coppola to cut that movie and cut cut cut because 3 hours was way too long for theatres. Only ultimately for everybody in the room realize that they were needlessly gutting the picture and just let out Coppola's cut.

Usually Scott's theatrical release is also his DC. Examples are Gladiator and Alien.

Scott explicitly says at the start of Gladiator that the extended cut is not his DC, as that was the theatrical cut. With Alien he has stated the same.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."