Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Firstly, is it really true the Genovese are staying away from drug trafficking? I'm sure you can find a few examples, but I'm saying relative to the other families.

The Genovese family is relatively less involved in drug trafficking. Obviously, with a family that size, there's always going to be some who are dealing. But when looking at the Gambinos, the only other family that rivals the Genovese in size, the Gambinos are much deeper involved in the drug trade.

Quote:
Next, who were these loyal captains that The Chin bumped up that impressed the FBI?

I don't know if the feds were referring to anyone in particular but probably more to all of Chin's captains in general. If you look at the time he became boss until he died, not one of the guys who became a captain or higher under Chin flipped. Even though many of them were prosecuted and did long prison stints.

Originally Posted By: DeMeo
Ivy League, with the Genovese boss spot being vacant, who do you think is actually there?

I still don't think anyone has officially replaced Gigante to become the next official boss. While other families are going back to the traditional administration, it seems the Genovese are content to continue to use acting bosses or ruling panels.

After Danny Leo went to prison, the family was reportedly being run by a rotating panel of recently released high-level members: Benny Mangano, Barney Bellomo, Ernie Muscarella, and Larry Dentico. About a year later, it was said that Tino Fiumara was on the panel when he died, along with two other guys.

Even though these west side guys seem to go forever, it wouldn't surprise me if the really old guys like Benny Mangano, Larry Dentico, Dom Cirillo, Matty Ianniello, Mario Gigante, etc. are more or less retired. In my opinion, the safer bet would be on the relatively younger guys like Bellomo and Muscarella. Especially considering most of the family's leaders come from that crew anyway.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.