Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Notice how, even now, people are going way back for their examples. Pat Marcy? Fred Roti? In other discussions I've had people still bring up Gus Alex, the Camel, and even Jake Guzik. Yes, the Outfit was deep into political corruption years ago. But now, it's on a much more limited, localized basis. Not nearly as all encompassing as it once was.

I can't name a single non-Italian that is in a high up position in the hierarchy of the modern day Outfit. And what's more, I personally think people's idea of the hierarchy itself is outdated. This "soldiers are like captains and associates are like soldiers" business. I really haven't seen any evidence that we're still dealing with these large crews where you have the Area Boss, and below him a few Street Bosses, and below each of them several soldiers, and below them several more associates with sub crews of their own.

From what I can tell, just by looking at the info over the past 10-15 years at most, we're dealing with a much smaller, much less hierarchical, much more streamlined, organization. Which is why I find the official estimates of 25-30 members and a little over 100 associates very believable.

Well, yeah, I was responding to the previous poster who was talking about the outfit's power in the past based on there political connections. That was my point, the outfit's power into the 80's was ridiculous.

Why would a non-italian in a high up position in today's outfit mean anything? I'm confused by that statement. Are you just stating a fact?

I think the hierarchy is still the same. Why does the size of the crew matter? If there are 3-4 crews and each crew has a boss and each crew boss has 5 soldiers and those soldiers have associates, it's still the same hierarchy. Why would the hierarchy change if the size of the family was smaller?

I agree about the estimates being correct, they only have 3-4 crews, down from 7. So those numbers makes sense. I actually think they have junked the making ceremony and possibly making people all together. I wouldn't be surprised if Difronzo is making the outfit considerably smaller on purpose. By wanting it smaller or not caring anymore, either or, it's smaller.