Originally Posted By: SC
No universal dimensions are wanted here! Each ballpark being unique makes the game more fun. There are too many similar parks now (and have been since the '70s). Knowing the ground rules for all the different parks make the game a lot more fun.

Originally Posted By: klydon1
I oppose standard cookie-cutter dimensions. Unique park features within the confines of the parks, particularly the outfields, add uniqueness and charm,

I can understand these sentiments, and a large part of me agrees with them.

But let me play devils advocate here for a moment. The other 3 major sports, NFL Football, NBA Basketball & NHL Hockey have universal dimensions. Let me use Football as an example. Would it be fair to a running back or a quarterback if their home field was 110 yards long while another teams field was only 90 yards long?

What if Willie Mays had played in Wrigley Field for most of his career and Ernie Banks played in San Francisco? How many more home runs would Mays have had and how many less would Banks have had? Of course it's hard to tell, but for the most part you would have to agree that Mays would have had a lot more HRs playing all of his home games at Wrigley.

While there is a part of me that screams not to make universal dimensions in baseball, another part of me says that in fairness to the players and more so the teams, maybe dimensions should be universal.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.