Originally Posted By: klydon1
because state marriage is a social contract between two people to make an exclusive commitment by entering into a legal relationship with each other.

Two people? How about we be more specific, counselor? For ages state marriage was (and still is in at least 31 states) understood to be a social contract between two people - one man and one woman. Only in recent times have some people sought to change that to also include two men or two women. Society defined what marriage was years ago when the subject was polygamy and nobody said jack. But now, when it comes to gay marriage, we should redefine things? If you're honest, you'll admit the inconsistency and hypocrisy of this. Given that you're a lawyer, however, I realize honesty may be a tall request. wink

Originally Posted By: olivant
I too sense a tone of disrespect in IL's posts.

Is it that obvious? Even if I disagree with somebody, I can at least respect their position to a degree if they're argument is consistent. However, as I've shown, those who support gay marriage aren't exactly consistent but pick and choose on what "rights" they give a hoot about. And it's more along political lines than really caring about inherent rights, evolving, voting with your conscience, etc. Just saying. I'll get off my soap box now.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 05/16/12 03:27 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.