Wayne and Danito:

You both make valid points. Obviously, I'm making some large assumptions about Vito and Genco's relationship. Since their relationship is largely off-screen, that's all we can do.

But based on what we do see - of Vito and of Genco - I don't think my position is without merit.

Nothing in the interactions Vito has with Genco in GFII indicate that Genco is some sort of mastermind, or even a savvy, street-wise operator. We see him cower before Don Fanucci. We see him open and close a door for Signor Roberto.

To me, Genco seems well-informed but somewhat passive. I think Vito utilized as his eyes and ears on the street, feeding information to Vito, who then decided to use it. I think Vito kept his own counsel and didn't seek advice from Genco. I don't think Vito felt he needed an consigliere to do that.

Michael tellingly uses the phrase, "If I ever need a consigliere..." I think that attitude comes from Vito, who knew his strategic mind was better than anyone else's. Remember, the one time we see him ask for advice (regarding drugs) he totally disregards the answers of his son and consigliere.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"