Originally Posted By: m2w
its a question of numbers the states are too wide and the mafia today has little men to run that country as a whole most of places know the mafia only through movies except new york and a few others
for example a crime family with 50 made members in a little city would be feared by every criminal elements, but in big city of 3 millions of people the percetpion of local people and other would be far less
canada is far smaller and there are several mafia members thats coz is different there
in italy the mafia is feared by everyone, all outside crimnals and all citizens since its everywhere even outside its strongholds in the south and its run everythings included all the prisons across the country

I have to respectfully disagree. I live in the greater Toronto Area with a population of 6+ million. While not the size of NYC it is not exactly small so I do not think population is the only factor.

I also have to add that the supposed "lack of fear' people and other criminals have of the mafia is overblown. Human Nature does not change in 20-30 years. I think people in general trust the government more and the government has programs like witness protection which was not around years ago which makes people feel more comfortable approaching police if they are ever in a situation involving the mafia. 9 out of 10 people would be terrified if they were approached by a made guy, and even street gang member would have a raised heart rate and be a little more cautious if they found out there last robbery victim was the son of a high ranking mobster. Like I said human nature doesn't change in 30 years.

Last edited by Mussolini14; 04/30/12 08:00 AM.