Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
I know things are different in the USA and we don't have true Bloods or Crips but in Southern Ontario criminals of all elements still fear and respect the MAfia.

Well sure, Muss. I was certainly speaking of the American Mafia.

I don't pretend to know much firsthand about the Canadian Mafia. But if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that---in terms of how they're feared and respected in their respective surroundings---the Canadian Mafia is probably where the American Mafia was thirty years ago.

To me, the biggest change in the New York City area is that the wiseguys today are absolutely less feared than they were back in the '70s, '80s, and even the '90s. More and more average "citizens" aren't afraid to call the law today. Now I'm not saying that it's necessarily a healthy choice, but you do see it today where you didn't see it twenty years ago.

For whatever reason the Mafia in Canada relates more to the Mafia in Italy than the Mafia in the USA. I read somewhere that the Mafia in Canada see themselves as being Italians first and Canadians second, whereas in the USA, they view themselves as Americans first and Italians second. What do you think?