Originally Posted By: Nicholas
Originally Posted By: Mark
Thanks. As a US service member over in Italy, I saw the Carabinieri in action many times. I was not one of them but many guys could not handle their alcohol and tested the Carabinieri. It did not turn out well for "GI Joe" - let me tell you! lol

Thank you for your service Mark. I'm a university student out here in beautiful Orange County at a small Christian college. I'm enrolling in ROTC for this upcoming fall at a neighboring Cal State. What branch were you?

I plan on enlisting in the Marines as soon as I get my diploma. Than the MECOP route to get into OCS Quantico. I don't want to go straight into OCS as the waiting and vetting process for a civilian is quite too long for my patience, and by golly I just wanna be a Marine! (I'm not going career, do my 4 years, get in, get out; then hit law school)

Thanks, Nicholas (that's my son's name as well). I was in the Navy from 1983-1989. Congratulations and I am impressed by your ambition and opportunities. My son went to college also and then enlisted in the Navy as an Internal Communications Technician. He has a top secret security clearance and can do ANYTHING with a computer. He is currently stationed in Norfolk, Virginia's version of the "Pentagon" for all Naval ship operations & communications. As I'm sure you parents are proud of you, be sure we are over the moon as far as our Nick's accomplishments. Be smart, alert and don't listen to negative influences that you will encounter in the service. Only YOU know what is good for YOU - never forget that! I regret not making a career out of it and I blame youth, stupidity and the ignorance of my brain listening to bitter people trash the Navy and dragging me down to their pathetic level. Take all the advantages of travel and the experiences you will encounter - it lasts a life time. Sorry to blab on but I wished somebody would have talked sense to me when I was younger.