Originally Posted By: PrimeMinister
It would be a bad idea for them to consolidate, reason being, it would make the FBI's job easier to keep tabs on them. Just as the task forces for the Bonanno's and Colombo's have consolidated because the crews have become so small. It would make more sense for them to spread out, or make it seem so to confuse law enforcement a little, giving the illusion that there are more families operating. If law enforcement thought that there were 10 crime families in NYC, then that would throw them off, kind of like a shuffle if it makes sense. Then they wouldn't know who belongs to what group (unless someone rats) and if they can't pin them to a certain group, then RICO is harder to pin on them.

Interesting premise, the problem I see with that is that there are many people informing (many out on the street right now) so as soon as this happens the feds would know almsot simultaneously given all the surveillance they do and wiretaps, etc. Also, I dont think the families would be able to "spread out" much more as you describe as there arent really tons of made guys that would quantify the addition of numerous "other families", in a sense this is already happening but when you think of different crews. Each family has various crews that comprise it and make up the family.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.