Originally Posted By: Professor_M
Did a stand--in read those lines during filming and somehow it got left in some prints? Fascinating.

After listening to this line over and over, on my DVR recording of the AMC viewing of the "Saga" edit, I AM CONVINCED this is Robert DeNiro doing the voice over!

Listen to it! Since this scene was placed in chronological order, right after the Don returning to Sicily, Copola must have asked DeNiro in 1976 to come in and dub the lines; for a transitional / continuity feel. This dubbed in line is literally a bridge between the younger Don and the old Don. So when the viewer is watching it for the first time (oh how I wish that was me again), he hears this line after seeing and hearing DeNiro play the role, all while Brando has the back of his head to us. He hears DeNiro's voice, so we know its still the Don, but when? Moments later we see an old Don and maybe or maybe not the viewers are not shocked by the change of the actors and/or simply swept up in the transition.

Can there be ANY other logical reason? It is clearly not Brando's voice, why on earth do this??? Copolla's reasoning for this only makes sense watching this in the "Saga" version.