Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Correct me if I'm wrong, Afs. But aren't the Iranian abortion laws very strict, if not particularly effective?

I'm only asking with the interest of someone who lives outside your country (I'm not getting involved in the morality debate). I found a very interesting article here.

Let me know what you think smile.

Yes, the article is quite accurate except on one point that I'll get to it. Let me just throw this in here, we can't plead self defense in case of a murder. Women who kill their rapist would face death penalty. Since the life of a man is worth twice as a woman, a woman is also forced to pay as much as her worth of life to the family of the victim as well. Not sure laugh or cry at this one.

As far as abortion goes: Premarital sex is a no-no. A marriage could seriously go wrong if groom finds out the bride is not a virgin on the wedding night. That's true for about 80% of Persian men, give or take. However, recently most youngsters engage in sex before marriage. Doctors are very cooperative though, rolleyes they mend hymens, perform abortions and you just name it. You can always find a doctor who does it. And if you live in a big town, you can bet, it's safe too. It's not some back alley OR with a shady doctor. Since honor and reputation depends on it and things can get bloody messy, most doctors being sympathetic, don't say no to women who come to them.

During first trimester, the fetus is not considered a human being according to our interpretation of Quran. Therefore there's no penalty practically.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones