SB, there are no universal "one-size-fits-all" answers of course. After all, someone created freedom of belief for a reason.

Certainly you ladies and mothers deserve more than your fair say here because it's your bodies. I'm mostly arguing for the sake of debate anyhow, because were abortion actually illegalized we'd have more single teen moms than any society in history.

Because IMHO we live in a society where self gratification and preservation trumps all. I think this is inherently detrimental to any notions of a true society.

Sex outside of marriage is condemned by most religions for a very good reason, because Sex Leads to Babies. A society cannot support a load of fatherless children,hence the sexual restraints urged on women, and penalty for men sleeping with other men's wives, with virgins etc.

Lack of restraint creates weak people, driven by selfish goals, who are unable to perform any sacrifice, unwilling to make any effort and ultimately this affects the whole society and weakens it. Of course, it also makes people individualistic too.

Family values are indeed necessary, because they offer a valuable alternative to the disgusting pursuit of personal pleasure only (I'm not against pleasure but against hedonism as a solid basis for society).

I could be wrong, but I share with many churches the idea that strong families are essential to personal power and liberty, and even wealth, and that destroying the family leads to governmental authority over the people, and poverty.

Casual abortion standards undermine these values among many others.