Originally Posted By: Nicholas
Good point.

Though I have to nitpick about RICO. That is the definition, however RICO can be applied for individuals.

An example of a case my old man did:

A doctor who who ran several clinics, would get the death certificates of recently deceased peoples and then bill Medicare for services that he did not do. Exams, minor surgeries, etc.
Since this was Medicare, the Feds got involved. Since there were several clinics and an ongoing pattern of criminal activity, this individual was charged under the RICO statute.

Interesting case. It corresponds to my impression of RICO-actionable activities.

Under a broad definition of RICO, a person who got into hock with a Mob-connected loanshark and had to bust out his business to pay off the debt could be charged under RICO as being part of a "racketeer influenced corrupt organization." That would make the victim all the more willing to cooperate with the Feds in exchange for a lighter sentence or Witness Protection.

Best succinct summary of RICO history and intent is found in Selwyn Raab's masterful "The Five Families."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.