Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
The last Commission meeting in 2000 was Bonanno family boss Joe Massino chaired the meeting, along with underboss Sal Vitale. Representing the Gambino family was captain Peter Gotti. Representing the Genovese family was captain Frank Giovanelli. Representing the Colombo family was consigliere Joel Cacace. And representing the Lucchese family was consigliere Louis Daidone. Among other things, those there changed the membership requirements back to 100% Italian blood for prospective members. Also discussed was breaking up the Colombo family, with it's members going to different families. But that was rejected because it wasn't realisitic and it was thought it would be disrespectful to Colombo boss Carmine Persico.

It seems the idea to break up the Colombo family never got past the hypothetical stage. And that's when there was still a lot of tension from the Colombo war.

Again, I have to point out that the Colombos are nowhere near being the to the point where they're about to be extinct or could be merged with other families. It's almost like people have started thinking of it as the 4 NY families + the Colombos and that's not really the case, despite all the "sinking ship" jokes.

Incidentally, I've read from other sources that it was actually Larry Dentico that represented the Genovese family and not Fritzy.

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
The last Commission meeting in 2000 was Bonanno family boss Joe Massino chaired the meeting, along with underboss Sal Vitale.

Didn't Joe Massino recently state that this wasn't a real Commission meeting?

Even though he chaired it, it seems Massino felt the real last legitimate Commission meeting was in the mid-1980's before the Commission case. Maybe that's because the meeting he held in 2000 didn't involve all 5 official bosses. And even before, that, it was only a few of the official bosses when the Genovese, Gambinos, and Luccheses met. Of course, others would go by even stricter definitions, and argue that, since the Commission originally also consisted of the Buffalo, Chicago, and later Philadelphia, and Detroit families, the 5 NY families alone can't properly be called the Commission. Though I'm not one of them.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 03/06/12 10:52 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.