I went to a Whole Foods for the first time a few weeks ago. I found some things very reasonable, and some things ridiculously overpriced. I think I would compare Whole Foods more with Fairway than Trader Joe's.

First of all, I got a $3 chardonnay at Whole Foods that was actually drinkable. It was a tad sweet for my taste, but my daughter, who just started drinking wine, loved it. I also got a $5 merlot, but haven't cracked it open yet, so can't comment.

Their sushi and their hot sandwiches were very inexpensive and fresh. We bought four different sushi rolls, and all of them were delicious. The price ranged from $6-$8, but I can't remember if there were 9 or 12 rolls in each. The herb-encrusted roast beef sandwich was only $7. They also had a very nice coffee and gelato bar, and their prices were no more or no less than anywhere else.

Their bakery was expensive, but everything looked top shelf. Their cakes looked gorgeous, but too pricey for me to try. We ran out of time before I could really look at much else, so I can't say what the other areas were like, but since they were advertising organic eggs from uncaged chickens, I'm guessing expensive.

Overall, I still like TJ's better, but Whole Foods was certainly a pleasant experience.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club